Fired from menards for voluntary work gone wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moxyqy

Here's the situation. I work for Menards, in Detroit Lakes Minnesota I voluntarily wen't out of state to work for another store to help clean up their yard Minot North Dakota). Just about everything our general manager told us about the trip was completely different than things were when we got there. There was supposed to be 2 of us car pooling and due to our manager not communicating with us there wound up 3 of us going (Me in one car and two in the other). I was supposed to be staying in a hotel with one other guy from our store. When we all get there one of us doesn't have a room they put me in a room with some stranger from another store, (which i have severe trust issues and a phobia of sleeping in the same room as strangers) which i made aware to there general manager but he didn't seem to care. Well i'm not going to sleep in my car for a week so i told there manager that everything was poorly executed. I made it clear to both of our store managers that i was going home because the conditions i volunteered to where not met. No contracts were signed. Not to mention after i told the Minot store manager i was going home, then after talking to our store manager our manager had said that we would be fired if we left, we went back to the hotel to figure out what was going on. 10 minutes late our store manager notified us that the Minot store manager told him that we were not allowed back in the Minot store. Well they wound up firing all 3 of us because of insubordination/job performance. Are they allowed to force us to work out of state? Is this even a legal way to fire someone? Would it be worth taking to court?

Yes, it is legal.

You were not forced to do anything.

By your account of the events, you volunteered.

Any of us is free to sue any of us.

That is the American way, sue , sue, sue.

Don't expect to prevail.

Last edited:
Giving your employer an ultimatum is a really, really good way to get fired. And it's legal, too.

Are they allowed to force us to work out of state?
Yes.

Is this even a legal way to fire someone? Yes.

Would it be worth taking to court? No.

You work where your employer says to work. If he says you work in ND, then you work in ND. While I'm not sure precisely what "way" to be fired you think may be illegal, there was nothing even remotely illegal about the way you were fired. You would be wasting your time taking this to court - everything the employer did was quite legal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back