Fired for harassment, first offence

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoCalJames

I was fired last month after an employee in another division of the company lodged a formal complaint about some remarks I made to her in a bar after a work party. We were both off the clock and outside the workplace.

I invited her to the bar because I wanted to thank her for helping me during some work events preceeding the work party. In the presence of other employees, I made the remarks - telling her I loved her for the hard work she had done.

I understand although I was off the clock and outside the workplace, I am expected to maintain professional conduct with other employees. This was my first offence and I feel the action taken was too strong - I was expecting a reprimand/warning.

What do you think?

You're all wrong. You shouldn't have gotton so carried away, surely you know that. If all was as you say, the person who complained sounds as though she could have made sure you got the message but there was no need for it to go this far and the company should have given you a warning.

Of course that is my opinion only. But it does seem to me that the workplace is so competitive nowadays and employers so demanding that a lot of times people will make complaints about their fellow employees which are either untrue or overblown. You admit to your part so it is true in your case however I think much of the melodrama can be avoided. but I do not know the people involved nor the other side of the story.

Last edited:
Thanks.

I do admit to making the remarks. The company sexual harassment policy suggests making the person aware of the offence when it happens. The company disciplinary policy is also *usually* a verbal warning, written warning, suspension, then dismissal.

Guess they consider sexual harassment more serious.

I've moved on. All of my co-workers are very shocked and upset and I'm looking for work and looking forward to the day this will all be a distant memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back