Fired for failed urine test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rrod38

I was fired after 7 yrs.for failing a urine trest. I was given info on rehab and told if i were to even be considered for rehiring i would have to complete this program. I was told that i would be responsible for all costs involved.This was all spoken to me by our safety advisor. I asked him if i could collect unemployement and he said "no". The next week when iwent to pick up my check the boss asked me what happened and if there was anything he could do to help. I told him i had been under a lot of work related stress and made a bad choice. He told me that i was a good worker and that he would do what ever he could to get me back in. I asked if i would be able to collect and he told me to apply right away and that i shouldnt have any problems. I am skepitical given the circumstances. What can i do ? Any advice?

Neither the safety manager nor your boss gets to decide if you do or do not collect unemployment. That decision will be made by your unnamed state.

Beyond that I will need to know what state you are in before I can say if you do or do not have any additional options.

Since you violated a drug policy it is unlikely you qualify for UE. That is a legitamate reason to fire you.

Been on the union side of things a long time. This is why a union is so important. They don't have a snowball's chance of hell of denying you unemployment benefits. They can fight it because they want there unemployment insurance money back but they will likely loose this fight. My advice go down and file in the morning. Tell the social worker they were looking for reasons to cut head count down and let you go. It will be up to the employer to prove they didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back