Fired before a merger

Status
Not open for further replies.

sseth

I have a question, I was hired last year by a multi-billion dollar company , but by the later part of the year company started having talks of being sold or merged with another major company. And in the last month of the year I was suddenly put on a performance improvement plan which was ridiculous. And within a month of the plan I was terminated for not improving my performance. And with in 13 days of my last day the company was bought up by another multi-billion dollar company.
I was always doubted my PIP was for some another reason and now its clear that it was done so that I would not be paid my Bonus and any layoff severance package if the company was sold. And I was the only Minority Women in our group and I was the first one to get fired.
Can you please let me know if this looks like a discrimination case during a merger?

thanks

Don't know, as said I was new hardly 9 months into my job. they had a separate huge HR dept, very secretive.

Discrimination is very hard to prove.
I don't see it from what you've said, and even if I did, there's nothing we could do here.
So, if you suspect hijinks and shenanigans to have occurred, consult a labor lawyer or discuss your concerns with the EEOC or your state'sversion of the EEOC, if VA has one.

Even if this cannot be a discrimination case , but still firing employees before a big merger so they don't have to pay layoff money?

Even if this cannot be a discrimination case , but still firing employees before a big merger so they don't have to pay layoff money?

They didn't even have to tell you why they wanted you gone.

There are many myths about this country in which we live.

The truth is, far different from those myths.

Based on what you posted, I don't see any definite discrimination or anything illegal done by your employer. You are always free to run it by an attorney.

It isn't all that unusal to let poor performers go in anticipation of a merger. In fact, it isn't unusual to let lots of employees go before a merger. The goal of the company is not to pay severence or bonuses to as many people as possible. Severence is never required unless you have a contract which clearly states the conditions under which it would be paid and those conditions occur.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back