Fired after ADA request?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dancleg

I tried to post this on the discrimination board, but I keep getting the "page cannot be found" error...so, sorry if it should be there instead.

I requested accommodations through my employer, and a few months later, I got a letter from my branch HR terminating my employment for violating a 30-day no work policy (I turned down 2 assignments while laid off for the summer because they were way too far away). This is a policy no employee is aware of, and I have no warnings for anything on my record. They have a progressive discipline policy.

I spoke to corporate HR today, and they stated that I was not terminated, but it was considered a voluntary resignation. They received the same letter that I got, which clearly states I was terminated. They stated this policy is not given to the employees, but is an administrative rule. There have been other employees in violation of this rule that have not been terminated...one supposedly had no work available, and the excuse for the other one was that hers was before a recent crack-down on the rule.

They also claim that HR called me twice about the accommodations request, but got no response. There was no call from them...they were not on my caller ID, and they didn't leave a message. They claim that they had no problem with my request, but I never got anything stating that.

A couple things that are very important: One employee was fired after asking for assistance with a job she could not do without being a potential OSHA violation. Another employee (who would definitely qualify under ADA, but is afraid it will jeopardize her job) has had problems because of a health concern and her manager told her if her health is causing her problems, she needs to find another job.

What I want to know is who has the burden of proof in an ADA discrimination case? If I suspect I was fired over the accommodation request, do I have to prove that I was entitled to the accommodations or just that it was because of the request? Do I even have a case here? The issue is pending with unemployment now, but I want to sue if I have a case.

Thanks,
Candi

Before you can sue, you have to have a right to sue letter from the EEOC. We cannot say that you do or you do not "have a case"'; that jurisdiction belongs to the EEOC. If you believe that the sole reason you were terminated is that you asked for an ADA accomodation, file a discrimination claim with the EEOC. They will investigate and issue the appropriate findings.

The EEOC site wasn't very helpful about that part of the law (firing after making a request), and and my husband doesn't think I should pursue this unless I'm certain I "have a case" because of the time it would take up. But if an EEOC filing is the only way to find out, I guess that's what I'll have to do...and I'll encourage my former co-worker to do the same. Thanks :).

Talk to an attorney in your state. Some states have more favorable statutes regarding disability than the A.D.A.

ada laws changed with fmla laws the beginning of 2009, so federal disability laws are slowly caching up to some more liberal state laws as well
hr is not always up on current laws either, so you can't guage the law by what hr tells you. contact either your state labor board to see what your state's disability laws and contact a local employment law attorney as well.

Last edited:
do you have a response from your hr in regards to your accomodation request - what was their response, did they indicate they would or would not accomodate you. what was the accomodation you asked for. hr can and will claim anything to cover themselves. if they agreed to your accomodation request then i would take that stright to an employment law atty. if your hr is like my hr, they will refuse to respond in writing to you in any way shape or form, but if you have correspondance from them agreeing to accomodation or ar least your email requests for accomodation, then you have something to go on. my hr is so yellow bellied they have refused to respond to my state's legal inquiry's which at this point, after 90 days is an admission of implied liability to their failure to comply with both state and federal disability laws.

I never received any official response from HR regarding my request. The first I heard of them approving it was after I talked to corporate regarding my termination. Can I use the fact they never responded in writing against them? All I have in writing is my email to my manager, and a letter from HR stating that they need a letter from my doctor to evaluate my request. I've noticed this company has a serious aversion to putting things in writing.

I figured they are saying I resigned to get around paying unemployment, and I am planning to use a few things to my benefit there...including the wording of the letter they sent me "we have terminated your employment". To me, that certainly does not say I resigned, and there is nothing else in the letter indicating that.

in my case, i was on state paid disability for about a month, then had all of my belongings from work shipped to my home on the date that my letter of resignation stated. my unemp interview was lengthy, but they knew i had been on disability and the date of my 'termination' was about a month into my disability time. my full disability time off was approx. 3.5 mos, so i was on state disability for another 2.5 mos after my 'termination' date. unemp interviewer was adamant to get to the bottom of 'why' i had offered my resignation. the list, along with all of their denial for fmla letters, letters of corrective action for taking intermittent approved fmla and threats to my job, etc. all totaled about half a dozen letters or more in a 7 month time frame that i was able to provide as 'proof' of their discriminitory actions as well as their denial of 'reasonable accomodation' by denying fmla, etc. employer denies i was ever 'disabled' and i have 5 docs stating i was and that i have a disability. in my case, i also have a 'constructive discharge' complaint against them, meaning i was forced to resign due to their continued illegal behavior. they obviously believed what they were saying, as they had no qualms about putting it all in writing for me, many times over.

what state are you in

http://www.eeoc.gov/charge/overview_charge_filing.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back