1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

firearm straw purchase warning letter

Discussion in 'Guns, Firearms & Weapons' started by monti carlo, May 12, 2016.

1. monti carlo

monti carlo Law Topic Starter Guest

firearm straw purchase warning letter

Virginia, I had ATF agents come to my home and question me about a pistol I bought a year ago. They stated that they suspect me of straw purchase and want to see the gun and write off the serial number. I refused to talk to them without a lawyer which they agreed but had me sign some kind of straw purchase warning letter. They left their info and said I COULD contact them when ever i had a lawyer. They didn't say for sure I had to. I want to know if there is any more action I need to take, is the warning letter part of a charge of suspicion of crime? I do have the said firearm but due to concerns of implications I didn't say anything.
    Thanks

2. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

If you legally purchased the firearm and still have it, I don't understand what "implications" you are concerned about.

Either call them back and arrange to show them the firearm, of if you are antsy about this, hire a lawyer to make the contact for you and resolve the issue.

This isn't going away.

The next time they come to your door it might be with a warrant.

3. d1amund

d1amund Member

Illegally purchasing a firearm is a federal crime. The ATF doesn't just show up at your door at random; they have reason to believe you committed a federal crime. It seems you may be worried about that as well. Contact a lawyer.

4. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

5. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

Or, a comedy act. LOL