Fraud, Embezzlement, Bad Checks Financial Crimes

JamesS

Jurisdiction
Tennessee
I want to press charges.

The guy who married my twin sister is a young law school student. He lacks a moral compass. Over the period of two years, he stole $35,000 from the breadwinner in my family, my stepmother. He attempted to blame it on his wife and in the end when he was caught, settled for divorce and is now lying low.

It seems like an open and shut case. My stepmother made a gentleman's agreement with the blood members of my family (so excluding him as he is an in-law) that we would have access to her card to use on amazon.com for small purchases. We used her card for toiletries, chips, food, the occasional novel or CD purchase. You know when you get a call from your bank that someone overseas has committed fraud on your account and gone to town in Walmart and every other store in their city? My brother in law stole $9,000 from my dad's credit card two years ago. At the time, they made an out of court settlement where if he paid the money back, we would not press charges. Three months ago, however, there was another panic as $25,000 was missing from my stepmother's amazon account. I looked at the purchases and among other things he was buying personal items (duffel bags, radios, engines, car parts, a collection of knives) but more sinister items too. He was buying gold from canada, hiding it from his wife and using it to invest in. I'm not a lawyer but that seems more sinister. He denied it until he was outed. Again, he is attempting to make an out of court settlement by paying my father $20,000 for the damages, which is shy of the full amount he stole.

I would like to talk to my stepmother about pursuing criminal charges because in two years he has stolen $35k from two separate people in my family, as well as physically abused my sister. Do I stand a chance in court? Is there anything you can tell me before I go in to this process? What will happen if my dad accepts the settlement check? Thank you.

You have no say in what your relatives agree to do to resolve their disputes.

You are not involved.

If your relatives seek your counsel, you are free to speak your piece.

If no one seeks your advice, you serve yourself best by not commenting.

What appears to be theft to one person, might be a gift by another.

People are free to hide their money in empty mayonnaise jars and bury them in their backyard.

In fact, you admit that several members are GIFTING themselves by using your relative's credit card.

I have learned over the years to not meddle in the affairs of others, and when asked my opinion my standard retort is to say, "It is your money. You are free to do whatever you want with your money. What you do with your money is no one's business, and that includes me."

You know when you get a call from your bank that someone overseas has committed fraud on your account and gone to town in Walmart and every other store in their city?

No.

I would like to talk to my stepmother about pursuing criminal charges because in two years he has stolen $35k from two separate people in my family, as well as physically abused my sister. Do I stand a chance in court?

I don't understand the question. Nothing in your post indicates your (apparently former) brother-in-law ("BIL") or anyone else did anything to you, and you obviously don't have standing as it relates to the crimes that BIL allegedly committed against your family members.

That said, if you want to report BIL's alleged crimes to the police, you are free to do so.

Is there anything you can tell me before I go in to this process?

What process?

What will happen if my dad accepts the settlement check?

We have no way of predicting the future in this regard.

Thank you for all the clarification. It is up to the stepmother in this situation to decide if she feels she wants to press charges against the BIL.

Back