Filing Custody Paperwork

leslie82

Jurisdiction
Nebraska
I'm active duty and eventually I have to go to a leadership school for six weeks out of state. Would I be able to leave the school's address with the court in case my ex were to file any type of custody modifications while I was gone during that time? I know I'm going to have to put a hold on my mail. I'd rather not have it forwarded to my dad because I get a lot of junk mail. But I don't want my ex to think he's slick and file something when I'm gone.

I doubt he will. He couldn't even show up to court for the divorce. Right now parenting time is at my discretion until he does the online parenting class and mediation. It's been almost two years and he hasn't done it. He's in jail right now but he gets out in a month. Can the other parent even file custody modification if a servicemember is TDY? I know when we're deployed any hearings have to wait until we return. I couldn't remember if that was for TDY too.

I don't have a class date yet. I have a Family Care Plan. I can't see him wasting the time or money to do it if he hasn't yet. I know he wouldn't do it on his own but he's never hired a lawyer for anything with his other kids or ours. BUT I never can predict what he might do. I could see him try to file something while I'm gone just to be an asshole. Not because he really loves our daughter. I doubt he would get any custody or visitation. He has no home, no job, no car and no license to get her around and she is a severely medically complex kid. If he did the parenting class he'd get a visitation plan but he hasn't.

I might be overthinking but I think ahead and I would rather not be 15 hours away and get a phone call or letter about something when I'll be worried enough being away from my daughter.

You shouldn't have to worry about it. If anything new is filed you will have to be served a copy, and you apparently won't be available for service. If they want to file something they will have to wait... unless you have an attorney, then they could serve your attorney.

Stop communicating what should be private, confidential details of your life.

I don't think a CONUS TDY (for whatever reason) is covered under the protections of a military combat deployment.

To be sure, visit JAG and seek guidance.

Don't see how it's confidential. I haven't said anything more than anyone else who posts on here.

No, it's not.

Confidential is sharing details of your life with the deadbeat criminal.

He'll only know you're gone, if you tell him.

Personally, I wouldn't let that undeserving bum know anything I'm doing.

My point is, he'll never know you're anywhere but near your home.

Whatever you're doing, wherever you go, why you go is none of his business.

You owe him no explanations, heck, you owe no one an explanation.

No, it's not.

Confidential is sharing details of your life with the deadbeat criminal.

He'll only know you're gone, if you tell him.

Personally, I wouldn't let that undeserving bum know anything I'm doing.

My point is, he'll never know you're anywhere but near your home.

Whatever you're doing, wherever you go, why you go is none of his business.

You owe him no explanations, heck, you owe no one an explanation.

I haven't said anything to him about school or anything. But he's going to figure it out eventually. And I will have to tell him if I move out of state when the Army tells me to because I have to notify the court about it and he will for sure know then. Hopefully that's not soon I'm working on a medical stabilization.

I was just thinking about if he found out I'm out of state I could see him being so shady and trying to screw me over while I'm gone. I doubt he would or could but I can't put anything past him.

I haven't said anything to him about school or anything. But he's going to figure it out eventually. And I will have to tell him if I move out of state when the Army tells me to because I have to notify the court about it and he will for sure know then. Hopefully that's not soon I'm working on a medical stabilization.

I was just thinking about if he found out I'm out of state I could see him being so shady and trying to screw me over while I'm gone. I doubt he would or could but I can't put anything past him.

All I was saying is you have no legal obligation to tell him anything.

I'm sure you'll make the proper arrangements for your child.

Your life is your business.

That said, you are free to tell anyone anything you wish to tell them.

People are different.

I don't tell anyone anything, except my wife, who knows it anyway.

If she and I were divorced, I wouldn't tell her anything, nor would I care what she's doing, either.

Back