Fence with estate funds

Status
Not open for further replies.

pburchett

Since my parents demise I have been appointed administrator of their estate. Because there was no will I had to file a motion in court to sell the estate's real property. I was allowed by an order from the probate judge to sell the home to pay necessary debts. I also requested at the same time to be allowed to sell a small commercial lot and building so the estate could be closed. The sale of this lot and building was denied as the judge stated that the property would remain with the estate at the present time as there would no longer be a need to sell real property to satisfy debts.

The building and lot are now a liability and require a weekly mowing, which I am doing so now without pay, but hope to be compensated for later. The building is now the target of vandals who have broken windows and stolen things from the property.

Can I as the estate administrator, pay someone with estate funds to have the windows replaced and the building and lot fenced-in and gates put across the entrance to prevent any further loss to the structure or lot? My attorney said that he did not see why not, but did not give a definite answer. The reason I proceed with caution is because my brother presumably murdered my parents (no trial yet) and his x-wives want all the money they can get for his children's trust fund if he is found guilty.

If he is found guilty then he would not be entitled to any of the estate. I fail to see how his children would be either but that would depend on state law.

Have your attorney petition the court again for sale of the property. If you have filed police reports that should help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back