fence ? noone can seem to answer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ann_

Hello, I have a question that noone can seem to answer. My fence was built approx. 6 inches from my property line so as to allow that my concrete footings would be on no one elses property (suggested by the brochure that came with fence materials). Does this give the other neighbors the right to attach to my fence without my persmission because technically they will then be enclosing six inches of my property? Also, when does a fence become community fence?-Isnt that when it is right on the property line built by both parties? I live in CA. Thank you for any help

what do you mean with "attach to my fence"? Have they put stuff onto it or what?

By attaching to it I mean them using my termianl posts (that are concreted into the ground) and tieing their fence onto mine; basically them using my side of the fence as their side of their fence. Really now since I have built a fence everyone around me wants to build one because now in their opinion one of their sides has been done for free.

Originally posted by Ann
By attaching to it I mean them using my termianl posts (that are concreted into the ground) and tieing their fence onto mine; basically them using my side of the fence as their side of their fence. Really now since I have built a fence everyone around me wants to build one because now in their opinion one of their sides has been done for free.

It sounds to me that if you have 6 inches of clearance on your terminal posts that are encased in concrete into the ground that is on your land. If your neighbor chose to attach anything to those terminal posts then their fence would be encroaching upon your land by six inches. If they want a fence to be on the exact perimeter of their yard then, if they followed the same manner in which you created your fence, should create a distance of 12 inches between your fences.

If the neighbor would even think to approach you saying that it should be "no big deal for you" then I'd say (1) you don't want to give an "easement" to the neighbors for your land which would give a neighbor permission to use six inches of your land (and issues arise when you sell), (2) if they want to limit the amount they spend on a fence when you've already made the expenditure, then the neighbor can share in the expense of moving out your fence 6 inches and having placed it there. No free rides here! ;)

Thank you for the advice! I feel like I moved onto a different planet in this neighborhood! No one can mind thier own business and everyone thinks they own my property since they have been here so much longer. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back