felon gets custody of our child...I need probono now win/win

Status
Not open for further replies.

parentcarez

Recently, my ex and I split up. There were many arguments leading up to this and for me it was fine, but we were offered bad advice by a section 8 housing worker. He told us that in order to get the other kicked out of our apt. we would need to file a restraining order asap and keep the child in order to be viewed as a 'parental unit' and keep the apt.

For my part, I felt I deserved it. She was abusive and I was working. She has an assault II on her record (attempted murder on her mother, but she was really an 'accomplice' by providing a key to her mother's house and $). She spent 41/2 yrs. in jail and it affected her greatly.

She claims I have abused her and when it went to court the judge ignored the 'housing voucher' speech from me and her restraining order stayed in affect while mine was dropped.

On her restraining order she claims I have abused our child. There is no evidentiary basis other than the testimony of a 16yr old babysitter with an admitted meth history to support her crazy allegations. Everyone in the town knows her history and mood swings, but with family support and an attorney it is really difficult to get help. Legal aid won't help and now I have a contempt charge for leaving a note on our fridge (restraining orders granted us dual access to the home...is this legal?).

I am confused and hurt. My experience with children is stellar (10yrs at a YMCA and a few yrs. at schools). this experience has been shattering and I feel I need adequate compensation, but cannot afford an attorney. It seems that pro-bono lawyers in Salem, OR. are hard to find. Any leads?

I do not know OR laws but I recommend you to either pay an experienced attorney their upfront cost or hiring an attorney that works for a 1 time fee. (There are some out there that do that). No, Legal Aid will not help on family law when it involves custody anymore---it is to long of a process.

If you cannot afford an attorney then you should start studying up on custody/visitation laws in your state. You must prove that you are seeking custody because it is in the best interest of the children. Not for yourself.

Ask yourself this question, Are you wanting custody for yourself or for your children? Remember your child deserves both parents and to be able to live in a stable satisfactory home environment.

I am NOT a lawyer. Do not consider this legal advice.

You proibably will not find pro bono if you want an attorney hire one. You need to start calling around. If you knew mom was abusive then you shgould have taken action long before now. Also why did you let a 16 yr old meth user babysit your child? You also knew mom had an attempted murder history and yet still had a baby with her.

Find a way to hire an attorney.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back