Father Wants To Terminate Parental Rights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

X3ASHHAY1

i am currently pregnant with twins. the father already has one child from a previous relationship. he went back to the mother of the first child and is now saying that he wants nothing to do with me or our children. he says he wants to sign over rights. my mom told me that the only way for a father to terminate his rights is for the judge and myself to ok it. and that even if his rights are terminated that he will still be financially responsible unless there is someone willing to step up and adopt the children and take financial responsibility. the father says he has talked to an attorney and that he can sign over his rights and not have to pay child support, but he could very well be bluffing....whats the real deal here? whos right?

Your mother is. No judge would permit a parent to arbitrarily absolve him or herself of financial responsibility for their own children unless another adult with a legal bond to the other parent (i.e. marriage of two years or longer) volunteered to assume that financial responsibility and did so in a legally binding way.

I agree stop listening to this guy. There is no way that a court will allow him to terminate his rights. You have to figure out a way to deal with him. After the twins are born paternity will need to be established and child support can be filed. You sure have your hands full being pregnant with twins and an idiot for the father of them.

He does not have to see the kids but he must pay support if you file for it, or if you go on any sort of government assistance.

Have you figured out how you are going to support the twins as a single mom? Daycare is going to cost a fortune unless you can get a relative to babysit for a good deal.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back