Father wanting custody because mother is never around

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, the chances of him getting SOLE legal and physical custody of these kids is really rather low.

Now joint legal with primary physical? Much more likely.

Does this mean he would technically share custody with her but they would live with us?

Does this mean he would technically share custody with her but they would live with us?

Yup! Joint legal custody with one parent being primary physical custodian is by far the norm. I'm not saying that Dad has NO chance at sole legal custody, but it's uncommon.

Dad needs to certainly get things going!

Proserpina, is there a way to ask you another question without everyone else to see? It won't allow me to send a private message to you...

it won't?! Ok let me fix that :)

It should work ...pms are enabled on my account, and my box ain't full :)

it won't?! Ok let me fix that :)

It should work ...pms are enabled on my account, and my box ain't full :)

Dang it...it won't work. It says that I need like a 100 posts to send one to you and I tried to reply to the one you sent me yesterday (I think it was) and it won't allow that either :confused:

Oh gosh I had no idea about that 100 post requirement!

Hmm..ok, try registering again with a completely new screen-name and info and then change a few details with your question..that way you can still get a fair response and nobody will know it's you.

Well here is the question anyway:
Right now they split before child care. If he is granted physical custody, then is there a way to figure out how much he should ask for regarding child support each month? I'm assuming they will continue to split child care and in 4 years or so they won't need to pay it anymore. He doesn't know how much to ask for when mediation starts. He just wants a dollar amount that's fair in order to pay for food, and clothes, etc for them. Thanks so much!!!

OK, the CA child support calculator is right here - have him plug in the numbers etc and see what pops up.

Also, there are several other calculators if he's not having much luck with that one (the site is occasionally down). Google is his friend :)

OK, the CA child support calculator is right here - have him plug in the numbers etc and see what pops up.

Also, there are several other calculators if he's not having much luck with that one (the site is occasionally down). Google is his friend :)

Thanks! The only problem with that calculator (even though there is a self employed option) is that she is self employed and we don't know what they look at regarding income (taxes for most self employed people don't reflect their true income). Also, do you know if child care is included in child support? I'm thinking thats an agreement between the parents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back