Father passed w/ no will- bank account only asset

Status
Not open for further replies.

thelast1

Hello,
My father passed three months ago without a will. He rented an apartment and had no vehicles, etc. His only asset is about $3,800.oo and some odd change in his credit union account. We thought it was easy as my brother taking the death certificate to the credit union and closing it out. But it is not. I spoke to a lawyer and explained the situation, and that we do not speak to one of my brothers and we don't know where he is located anymore. We have no clue, been years. He explained what we would have to do. When it came down to everything, it just does not seem worth to try and close out his account. It would end up costing us it seems.

So my question is what will happen to this money after there is no activity?

A friend told my brother that we should just write a check out to ourselves for the amount in the account, leaving a small amount left. That is was what they had to do when their Mother passed to close out an account.

Any help would be appreciated.

@ The credit union he sighed a membership card and on that membership card he should have listed the beneficiaries-- call the credit union and see what they have--- If no one does anythign with this $$ it will go into a "Dorment account status" there are fee's every month after 6 months or so the state will get what ever $$ remains

Thank you.We had called the credit union,and they said nothign about this.
They told us we would have to get a certain form and that was it.
DOes this apply to all credit unions. We are located in Pa.

@ The credit union he sighed a membership card and on that membership card he should have listed the beneficiaries-- call the credit union and see what they have--- If no one does anythign with this $$ it will go into a "Dorment account status" there are fee's every month after 6 months or so the state will get what ever $$ remains

Usaully, go in and talk to a branch manager, Go to the main branch ( this is where the main documents are held, usually) take the death certificate with you-- let them know they need to pull the signature card

Probate

Dear Lawyers,
I have a few questions to ask.

(1) If a person has a Executer of a Will,But he dies,and the
wife was asked,to be the Executer of a Will,But her name is not put in
the will ,would she still be the Executer,or would it go into probate ?

{2}IF A PERSON HAS A WILL ,BUT NO {BENEFIERIES } Sorry on this misspelled word .ON THERE CHECKING ,SAVINGS ,ECT Accounts would this also go in to probate !

{3}What Are Court Costs If Things Go into Probate ?

(4)How Much Does A Executer

of a will charge!

(5)IF A PERSON WANTED TO CONTEST A WILL ,WHAT ARE THE COSTS TO

TO THIS?

(6) What are the nessary reasons and steps needed to contest a will, and

proof needed ?

ALL NESsarry answers are for rochester,mn.

THANKS A MILION FOR your help !

superman55904

Just wanted to update this for anyone else in my situation. I was able to go to the bank and close my fathers account. In our case there was under a certain amount of money in the account. So all we had to do was show proof of a paid funeral and the death cert. Thanks to everyone for their help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back