Father Married A Woman Who Hates him, annulment questions

dlovett1

Jurisdiction
California
Hello,

This is my first time on this forum, and I hope that someone can pass along some knowledge on the subject of annulment.

The situation:

My father, John, married a woman named Rose around March of 2014. Rose is a Canadian citizen, and John hired an immigration lawyer to help with the process of becoming an American citizen. During this process, she had made multiple trips back to Canada to visit family and friends, and pack her things for a move to California. During the first few months of the marriage, John would call me and vent about how Rose hated the city he lived in and how she wanted him to buy them a house in Napa Valley. Around July of 2014, John had rented a house in Napa for her to live in, and him on the weekends. In the first year of the marriage, she visited John in his home city less than 10 times. After a few years of John having periodical breakdowns on the phone, the four of us (Johns children) decided we needed to do something. My dad is worth millions and owns a multi-million dollar a year business. We know that she has been using him for naturalization, for her world trips, and that once he buys her a house in Napa, she will take him for all he has. We don't want our dad to lose half of his business to a three year marriage. What can Johns children do to make sure that he has a way out of this marriage? Annulment? Private investigator? Whatever it takes

Facts:
Rose spent 5 1/2 months of 2015 on vacation without John using Johns money.

My father could not afford to buy the house she wanted in Napa, after promising he would-Rose's response, "I will never trust you again".

Rose will not allow John to sleep in same bed as her, so when they spend time together, John sleeps in guest bedroom.

Rose constantly insults John, telling him that he is damaging her by trying to persuade her to live with him in his home city.

Rose has been using my father and I need to protect him.

Any advice is extremely appreciated.

-dlovett1

Sponsoring a deadbeat, flat broke immigrant into the US is one of the most foolish things anyone can do.

Marrying one is the MOST foolish thing anyone can do.

Marrying one in CA and being wealthy, you've set yourself up for a fleecing.

Sad thing is, ALL of this was made known to your father before he did the foolish deal.

All he can do now is divorce this evil character, and hope his divorce lawyer can lessen the pain.

What Sponsors Should Know Before Signing Form I-864 Affidavit of Support | Nolo.com

Responsibilities and Obligations of the Sponsor who submits an Affidavit of Support

Your father is an adult. You can express your concerns about Rose, but you can not divorce her for him, nor curtail her spending. If your father is willing to finance her trips, buy her a house, and sleep apart, that is his prerogative.

I would strongly suggest getting Dad into some counseling if he is regularly breaking down on the phone.

UPDATE:

John may be foolish, but I can't say.
The primary purpose of this post is this:
What can his children do to make sure that, when Rose divorces him, the judge can see she was using him.
We can record arguments, videotape things, ect.
I understand this type of thing happens alot and there are ways to make a case in court.
Anybody have any knowledge in this regard?

What exactly do you think you would record? You won't be a party to any divorce proceedings, assuming it even sees a courtroom. If he is allowing all this and voluntarily paying for all this, that's on him. I get that you hate this woman and wish Dad would wise up and stop spending so much money on her. At the same time, as long as he is of sound mind and body, he is entitled to spend his money on whomever, and whatever he chooses.

UPDATE:

John may be foolish, but I can't say.
The primary purpose of this post is this:
What can his children do to make sure that, when Rose divorces him, the judge can see she was using him.
We can record arguments, videotape things, ect.
I understand this type of thing happens alot and there are ways to make a case in court.
Anybody have any knowledge in this regard?

What you need to understand (I hope you have read and comprehend) that if you get bamboozled into sponsoring an immigrant into the USA, you've agreed to sponsor that person for a generation.

If that person becomes your spouse in a community property state, that increases your pain.

Back