Father deceased, Step-mother now deceased, step-sister is executor

Status
Not open for further replies.

caimen

My father died about 6 years ago, he was a meticulous book keeper and very specific about how he spent his money. He made very good money and always lived well below his means. He owned his home before he remarried. He was also a very fair man and split things up evenly. I was his only child, but if I got a gift of $100, my step-siblings got the exact same amount,etc.
I have a step-sister and step-brother.

He told me that his will stipulated that if he were to die first his estate would first pass to his wife to be certain that she had her needs met. This did not surprise me.
Upon his death my step-mother told me he left me $1000 but later said she was wrong and it was $5000. I found that odd. I never saw any will or other written proof.
My step-mother recently died and her daughter is the executor. I have recieved a personal check from my step-sister for a few thousand dollars and a handful of my father's personal belongings. I checked and the house has been transfered into my step-siblings names. I have seen no official documents once again. I have contacted the county for the probated wills and they should be on their way.
I am stunned, I don't know if I am being ripped off, if I wasn't protected in the first place by my father or what. I expected the estate would be split three ways, with possible gifts to our children. Could these wills have been probated without an attorney? Any advice?

Buy a complete copy of step-ma's probate file.

I've gotten copies of my father's and step-mother's wills. My father left his estate estate to his wife, if she was deceased it was to be split between his child ( me) and his two step children equally. As I expected.
My step-mother's will drawn up in 2007 to give her two children her entire estate divided equally. And to give me by name only ( not mentioned as a step-child ) a monetary gift.
I suppose my father didn't forsea that his wife would not equally divide the estate upon her death.

Last edited:
Sadly, no, it seems he did not foresee that. Once he left his estate to his wife, she could do as she pleased with it. I would suggest you take your step-mom's 2007 will to an estates lawyer to ascertain whether there's any chance it is invalid for failing to meet the formal requirements, or on the off chance it was made when she was incompetent or unduly influenced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back