Consumer Fraud Fandango & ReservationRewards Alert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Wechsler

Administrator
Staff member
Ever buy a movie ticket on Fandango? You're told that you get a free movie ticket? I hadn't seen this before but here's a really good alert of something that, to me, stinks of fraud and skirts a very, very fine line. If you agree to the big "YES" for your free movie ticket, the financial information you just used to pay for your Fandango movie ticket is used to enter you into the "Reservation Rewards" club. There is no separate alert or requirement that you put in your credit card number again - it's a one click transfer of your information to a third party.

Apparently reservationrewards.com is also known as webloyalty.com amongst other names. The rosi-kessel.org site collected over 2,300 replies to the misleading practices set forth in places like Fandango.

I recently noticed a charge on my credit card bill for "WLIRESERVATIONREWARDS 800-7327031" CT for $9. I had no idea what the charge was, so I called 1-800-732-7031 and finally figured it out.

So beware all of you who use Fandango or ANY service promising you free rewards. They aren't free and there is probably fine print somewhere that you're paying for the "freedom" in some fashion - even one click. What is disturbing is that companies like Fandango and other "reputed" retailers are using these gray area scams like ReservationRewards.com to collect large commission fees, mostly earned because consumers aren't aware they are being charged - NOT because they value the "free services" they are receiving via their credit cards.

Apparently the company's official address is here:

Webloyalty.com, Inc.
101 Merritt Seven, 7th Floor (Corporate Offices)
Norwalk, CT 06851

Most important - ALWAYS check your credit card statements every month. It didn't used to be as important as it is today, where the game is charging you small amounts you don't notice until you dispute them later and settle for a portion of the charges.

I am glad you are telling us about this experience. I have a very good friend who is a fandango fanatic and I am sure she is not aware that her information is being misused in that manner.

This process really skirts the fine line of data transfer. Given the tremendous number of complaints anyone can find online, it certainly doesn't pass the smell test although I can't say without looking at it further that what they are doing is, per se, illegal. Regardless, even giving them the benefit of every doubt, I wouldn't want to do business with companies associated with this process like reservationrewards.com. What is sad is that it seems a number of reputable vendors are participating because of the revenue promises. But it isn't necessarily because their program provides value...

caveat emptor!

Maybe that's how those 2 PSP's got shipped to PA from my bank account last week.....I bought a Fandango ticket for Ean to go see Star Wars the day before.

Bastards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back