Copyright Famous Quotes

F

Franny8)

Jurisdiction
Texas
I want to know if I am allowed to use song lyrics or even famous quotes of inspirational figures in my art (which I sell) if I give them credit and site their name. Example below:

"I was quiet, but I was not blind" -Jane Austen

"Heaven is being on earth with you" -Lana Del Rey

"I paint flowers so they do not die" -Frida Kahlo

I want to know if I am allowed to use song lyrics or even famous quotes of inspirational figures in my art (which I sell) if I give them credit and site their name. Example below:

"I was quiet, but I was not blind" -Jane Austen

"Heaven is being on earth with you" -Lana Del Rey

"I paint flowers so they do not die" -Frida Kahlo

It depends if the quote (for example is commonly used (as in a Bible verse = "Jesus wept."), or if the quote is attributed to anonymous = "Enjoy life, this is not a rehearsal."
Or, if the quote has lost its copyright and is in the public domain = BUT, the death of the author doesn't mean its available for FREE.

So, the answer is YOU alone must do DUE diligence.

Read this:
Tips and Tricks: Public Domain Quotations

If in doubt, don't quote it all about.

If you are doing it to make money you become fair game for an infringement lawsuit that can bankrupt you into the stone age.

It thus behooves you to determine if the work of others has copyright protection or is in the public domain.

It will cost you money to have a qualified attorney do that for you so if you aren't willing to spend the money then just sell your art based on its own merits and leave the work of other alone.

Back