falsely accused of theft

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Biggirl84

Jurisdiction
Nevada
I believe I was discriminated against to day by a Winco employee! I was chased out of a grocery store today and accused of stealing by a self check out clerk .This woman chose to run out the store after me yelling when they have in store security.She made me go back into the store by threatening to call the police on me when I initially refused. When I went back into the store I got an apology from the manager saying she was not supposed to do that but I'm still uneasy. I believe I was discriminated against because I'm African American and was wearing a Muslim-style hijab. Why else would this white woman chose to bypass here prodical by running out of the store after me.I was so upset in the store that I could not stop crying . Can I sue?

Would you feel the same way if the clerk had been another race?

Sorry, but nothing you've shared here amounts to any king of illegal discrimination.

I believe I was discriminated against to day by a Winco employee! I was chased out of a grocery store today and accused of stealing by a self check out clerk .This woman chose to run out the store after me yelling when they have in store security.She made me go back into the store by threatening to call the police on me when I initially refused. When I went back into the store I got an apology from the manager saying she was not supposed to do that but I'm still uneasy. I believe I was discriminated against because I'm African American and was wearing a Muslim-style hijab. Why else would this white woman chose to bypass here prodical by running out of the store after me.I was so upset in the store that I could not stop crying . Can I sue?

If you want to sue, you'll need a lawyer.

If you're thinking of suing in small claims, forget about it.

Talk to a few lawyers, explain your problem, get your answer.

The first visit is usually at no out of pocket costs to you, just your time.

I am NOT saying you have a case.

I am instructing you to how you handle this, if you think a lawsuit is possible.

I'm curious what was going on that led her to think you were shoplifting...

It sounds like the OP was using one of those "self check out" registers. I have seen many times where a customer has accidentally or intentionally not scanned an item. I have also seen where an associate "thought" customer had not scanned item as well. Depending on store the policy on how to handle this can vary. Even if OP DID not scan an item or two policy may have forbid the employees action. Its really hard to say. The best OP could hope for is contacting store management or corporate over the mistake (if a mistake) in which case the response would probably a gift card for store use. This would be the quickies solution. Any lawsuit would take a year or more and "if" any reward was given the :Lawyer would get one third of it.

That could be. But where the OP was so very careful to avoid any description of the events leading up to the incident, my inner cynic woke up.

I walked into the store and grabbed to Easter baskets then I went to self check out. It did not let me pay with my credit card so I looked around for the clerk which was no were to be found then I grabbed the baskets and walked them over to the next register that had a regular clerk. I then found out that they don't take credit. I then told the lady at the register that I was going to have to go Walgreens ,left the baskets at the register, and walked out the store. That's when the self check out clerk decides to walk past security without alerting them and run after me yelling I need to come back and pay for my stuff. The manger said she was not supposed to do that . I asked the manager if you guys have security that handles stuff like that why would she? He said he was not sure but also said she was on her last warning for not being at her post and in danger of losing her job if it happened again.

She detained me against my will by treating to call the police on me if I did not cooperate and she had absolutely no authority to do that! according to the manager . She is a self check out clerk and they have security. I did not want to go back into the store and told the lady 5 times no! she needs to go talk to her security, her manager, the clerk with at the register ,or somebody but she insist that I have the two Easter baskets in my little purse or up my butt for all I know . Do you guys see what I'm saying . She labeled me as a criminal! like to say because of what you look like I have to had stole the items even If it seems impossible .

I was upset at this post at first but I agree! Your suspicions are the same reason I think she was racist because it makes no sense. Chasing a muslim women out the store with nothing in her hands and accusing her of stealing a Easter baskets. She thought she was gone get a golden medal and wanted to handle it personally..

She thought she was gone get a golden medal and wanted to handle it personally..

That seems unlikely.
I'd bet race was not an issue until you inserted it. You provided nothing to indicate the woman's actions were racially motivated. For all we know she would have acted the same way if she suspected any other person of theft.

I guess we will find out if that's the case! Believe it or not black people don't pull the race card every time we're mistreated. This lady labeled me as a Houdini style Easter basket theft without knowing anything a bout me but that I'm a black women with a turban. I've been to self check out hundreds of times! I live in Las Vegas NV, and I rarely get discriminated against but I do know when its happening . It's usually when someone goes against there normal practices or company policy to make things harder for me with no logical explanation. What I've never experienced is it going this far and honestly I think it was the turban. Scary!

Okay. When you've talked to a few attorneys in person, come back and tell us how much money they think you're likely to get. Even if you're right about her motives, and I am not saying you're wrong, that doesn't mean you have a lawsuit.

That seems unlikely.
I'd bet race was not an issue until you inserted it. You provided nothing to indicate the woman's actions were racially motivated. For all we know she would have acted the same way if she suspected any other person of theft.
I never inserted anything about race at the store . I did not have to. I could see on everyone's cringing and apologetic face that they new what was going on. They knew she was not supposed to run out that store after nobody and they know why she did.

Show us where "race or Religion played role in stop. Furthermore you are free to talk to an Attorney to see if you have a case. If an Attorney takes your case expect to wait a year or more to resolve issue. If you win (big if) expect to give Attorney One third (approximately) to that lawyer. Since you are convinced this is about race your next move is to consult an Attorney

interesting for sure... You state your muslim but yet you were buying easter baskets. Is that correct?

I believe I was discriminated against because I'm African American and was wearing a Muslim-style hijab.
interesting that you would respond to something you to something you obviously didn't read. What are you insinuating and what does it have to do with my post ? Why would it matter if I was a Muslim trying to buy a easter basket?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back