False Verbal Agreement Allegation through Divorce

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAlocal

I am a male in california (enough said?). I am going through a pretty bad divorce right now after only a 4 month marriage. My wife decided out of the blue that she didn't want to be married at this point in her life & left me. She then stated that we didn't buy anything big or have kids & that we should both go our own way (she said she didn't want to see a lawyer, judge, or court). Two months later she is suing me for all kinds of money, mainly for 1/2 the cost of the wedding her mom paid for. They are claiming that we had a verbal agreement with her mother, that if the wedding didn't work out that we would pay her back for it (which is 100% false). We had no agreement of any kind (they also claim they have witnesses to this made up verbal agreement). Even worse, I come to find out that she left me for another guy because he likes to party & I don't. She is living with him, and has been since she left me... I make really good money, she only works 3 days a week at a mediocre job which is also screwing me. How can I defend something that never happened in the first place? :confused: (They are claiming this & more as debts to us as a couple totalling $42,000+ & want me to pay half for this 4 month marriage)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back