False arrest ??

pemoni

I was starting full scholarship graduate school in ILLINOIS and during first semester was cited for driving without proof of insurance on my way to gym at 7 am. I have out of state plates and Hawaii license (and full insurance) I missed my court date due to midterms and all warnings and paperwork went to Hawaii address.

When I finally found out my license was suspended I went to court and showed proof of insurance (10 years) and the case was dismissed.

The next day I was stopped and arrest for suspension .(It was a horrifying tearful experience having never been arrested.) I told police I had court paper work at home (2 blocks away) but he arrested me with and towed car, cuffed me and put in the back of police car .. and over 800 dollars later ... cash... (four hundred dollar police 'release fee") I was released that morning . Later Illinois DMV rescinded the suspension because Not only did I have insurance but THEY ARE NOT ALLOWED TO SUSPEND OUT OF STATE LISCENSE !!!!!!. Please help me. How can I get back some of the badly needed funds the police took? esp the $400 'tow release fee" .. can I bring them to court? I went to police review but they said they only followed what the computer told them :( :( :( . the whole incident is financially damaging and traumatic ..

If the information was entered into NCIC, and the police used that information ot effect the arrest they are legally held harmless in this matter.
They were doing what cops do, enforce the law as known to them.
Your easiest option might be to write letters to IL and HI elected state leaders (Governor, Speaker of House, Senate Leaders, Mayor of the city in which you were arrested, city council members of the city in which you were arrested, etc...) Your letter would be similar to what you wrote here, but shorter, simpler, factual, and request any relief the officials might be able to provide.

Insofar as IL officials, the mistake made by IL DMV could get the IL leaders to offer you some (maybe all) of your funds refunded.

The important thing is to be nice, beg for help, and explain WHY the state should be sympathetic to your cause.

As far as the courts, that's the complicated, expensive, and least likely way to receiving any recompense.

Most states have reciprocal agreements and if your license is suspended in one, you can be cited in another. Same goes for violations in one state affecting your license in another. If this was literally a day later, the database of suspended drivers probably hadn't updated yet.

Back