False accusation of theft by a Meijer LP investigator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackie_Buffat

I worked for Meijer as an Inventory Analyst for over a year.
I was given a civil demand by Meijer LP that stated that I was stopped for damage or theft of property at store 160 on 9-17-09.On Aug 17th, I was approached by two LP staff and asked to come to the office with them. The LP investigator asked me to explain why I had marked a TV down 90% then turn around and buy it. I answered his questions. I did become very upset with this LP investigator when he asked me to write a statement and acted like he wanted me to say I wanted the TV and that's why I marked it down. At one point he asked me why I had placed a sheet over the TV when I came out of the backroom with the TV. There was no sheet over the TV. The shirt that our human resource staff handed me as I came out the backroom with the TV was what I placed across the top of the TV. No covering up was involved. The LP investigator then typed and printed out a statement and asked me to read it and to sign it. I read the statement he handed me. He stated in the report that I knowingly tried to deprive Meijer of merchandise. I told him that I did not try to deprive Meijer of anything and that I was not a thief. The LP investigator made a comment that that's just the way the form is always worded. I refused to sign this statement. The whole time he questioned me I felt that he was accusing me of stealing this TV and that I was being sneaky doing it. At no time was I trying to hide anything!!! I admit I made a stupid mistake, but don't in any way feel I should be punished for theft of property or labeled a thief/shoplifter. I was suspended from work until the investigation was complete. I was asked not to come on Meijer property and that I had to pay a civil fine of $200.00. I was asked to hold a board up and my picture was taken. I was in shock by the time I left the LP office. If LP felt I was a thief, then why did they wait until weeks later to confront me? Why was I not stopped on my way to my car, or the next day confronted. I'm not trying to make any excuses. I did not know it was wrong to purchase an item that you yourself marked down. I do understand how this action does not look right. I never tried to hide what I was doing. I did not mark this TV down just so I could buy it. That never even entered my mind. I was not stealing, being deceiving, or dishonest in any way! I did however make a mistake by not going to my team leader and explaining to him how/why I was marking the TV down. I feel I should be disciplined in some way for my lack of bad judgment. I do not feel that I should be treated and labeled a theft!!!
Update: 9-21-2009
I was called today and informed by my team leader that it was decided to terminate my employment with Meijer. I'm speechless. I will not be labeled a shoplifter by This LP department!!! They talked to no one or asked any other staff about the steps I followed or anything that I said in my statement. Should they talk to other employees when doing an investigation? Can they just say - she marked the TV down and bought it and that's shoplifting? Do I need to sign a grievance through my union? I now feel I have a case for:
-WRONGFUL TERMINATION
-DEFAMATION OF CHARACTER
-THE STRESS/STRAIN CAUSED BECAUSE OF THESE FALSE ALLEGATIONS.

Last edited:
I did not go through that novel you just wrote. I have two suggestions though

A. Shorten this post so it can be read more quickly if we have questions we will ask

B. Visit the forum site linked in my signature line its just for issues like yours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back