Fallen Tree, Towed Car, Etc - help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlocher

Hello. This question concerns liability relating to the towing and storage of a vehicle, abandonment, and a fallen tree.

My car was parked in a legal (and unregulated) zone on March 13. On March 14th, during a severe storm, a tree lining the street on public property fell near--but did not strike--my vehicle.

My car was towed and impounded that day, March 14th, on the order of Con Edison (the local power utility company), presumably while they performed emergency services to secure the fallen tree and power lines at the site.

I didn't realize anything had occured until 3 days later, when I received an impound notice in the mail. When I called the police to inquire, the desk officer I spoke to, reading from notes on the record, explained that the car had been "removed for safekeeping" on the 14th, and "marked abandoned" after a "tree had fallen." (I made a visual inspection; there's a massive fallen tree in the vicinity). The mailed impound notice itself states, "Pursuant to Section 1224 of the Vehicle and Traffic Law of the State of New York, you are liable for the costs of removal and storage of said vehicle." I spoke to someone at the tow lot directly, and he confirmed that the vehicle had been towed on Con Edison's order, and did not appear to be damaged.

Am I liable for any storage and removal costs? If so, how can that be? NY Section 1224 defines abandonment of a legally parked car thusly: "...left unattended for more than forty-eight hours, after the parking of such vehicle shall have become illegal, if left on a portion of a highway or public place on which parking is legally permitted." My car was legally parked for fewer than 24 hours before it was towed "pursuant to Section 1224."

(Though I didn't notice until a few days later--clearly, I'd haven't been a regular observer of the 48-hour rule--the car was towed within 1 day of being parked.)

What should I do? Thanks, so much, in advance for any advice you might offer. Much appreciated.

More: I'm having a difficult time getting someone at the County Impound office to speak with me, but I have a suspicion that the "abandonment" note in the record and on the form I received is a formality, and that they haven't actually cited me for abandoning the vehicle--they simply needed to put something in the computer when authorizing a removal. (As it were, I have rock-solid proof in my defense of any abandonment charge: a meter violation ticket, issued the day before in another part of town). I'm willing to bet there's no actual citation for abandonment, only fees due to a third-party tow company.

If the county or local police authorize the tow on Con Edison's request, but they haven't issued a citation, how, do you suppose, I'll be able to recoup the tow/storage fees? I'm wondering who the liable party is.

You potentially have a case against ConEd, the city, the tow company or all three.

Speak with an attorney ASAP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You potentially have a case against ConEd, the city, the tow company or all three.

Speak with an attorney ASAP.

Thank you, ArmyJudge. Much appreciated.

I'd update the thread by reporting that I've spoken with police and public safety officers with the county, and they've confirmed that there is, in fact, no ticket or citation involved in the impounding--we have not been charged with "abandonment" or any other parking violation.

The conversations I've had with various city and county employees over the course of the day have resulted, invariably, in my being told to recoup the towing and storage fees through an insurance claim, which seems ludicrous.

Thank you, ArmyJudge. Much appreciated.

I'd update the thread by reporting that I've spoken with police and public safety officers with the county, and they've confirmed that there is, in fact, no ticket or citation involved in the impounding--we have not been charged with "abandonment" or any other parking violation.

The conversations I've had with various city and county employees over the course of the day have resulted, invariably, in my being told to recoup the towing and storage fees through an insurance claim, which seems ludicrous.

Funny they would say that, NOT!!!

Those bums don't want to get stuck with reimbursing you.

This should PROVE to you why you should IMMEDIATELY speak with a couple of attorneys in your area.

You have a potential lawsuit against some of these creatures.

They are trying to ignore their responsibility and abdicate paying you.

Would they let you off the hook if you owed them?

No, sue these bastards!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back