Fair pain and suffering settlement

ebrooks

Jurisdiction
Texas
My wife was recently involved in a wreck when another driver pulled in front of her and she T-boned him. The accident was deemed the other drivers fault and his insurance has accepted liability. My question is on the settlement part. She did go to the ER a couple of days later and had nothing broken but some major bruising and whiplash. She was held out of work for 5 days by the doctor and now she seems to be doing okay. She did have to miss some of our kids activities but nothing major. The total ER bill was 11,000 but it was sent to the other drivers insurance. So we have had very minimal out-of-pockets expenses. Also she is a nurse that works basically whenever she wants. She missed 2 days that she was scheduled to work but she has the ability to pick up a shift basically whenever she wants. So theoretically she could have worked all 5 days that the DR told her she couldn't. Normally she would only work 2-3 days in that span. So long question short, what would be a fair offer from the other insurance company. They have low balled me on the total loss of the car (fortunately we had gap insurance) and they didn't take blame until I called them and read the police report to them. Ive seen many posts about multiplying your medical costs and lost wages by 1-5 but we haven't had to pay any medical costs. Any help would be appreciated

My wife was recently involved in a wreck when another driver pulled in front of her and she T-boned him. The accident was deemed the other drivers fault and his insurance has accepted liability. My question is on the settlement part. She did go to the ER a couple of days later and had nothing broken but some major bruising and whiplash. She was held out of work for 5 days by the doctor and now she seems to be doing okay. She did have to miss some of our kids activities but nothing major. The total ER bill was 11,000 but it was sent to the other drivers insurance. So we have had very minimal out-of-pockets expenses. Also she is a nurse that works basically whenever she wants. She missed 2 days that she was scheduled to work but she has the ability to pick up a shift basically whenever she wants. So theoretically she could have worked all 5 days that the DR told her she couldn't. Normally she would only work 2-3 days in that span. So long question short, what would be a fair offer from the other insurance company. They have low balled me on the total loss of the car (fortunately we had gap insurance) and they didn't take blame until I called them and read the police report to them. Ive seen many posts about multiplying your medical costs and lost wages by 1-5 but we haven't had to pay any medical costs. Any help would be appreciated

The good news is your wife is back to regular form.
She lost no limbs, no mobility, and no mental ability.

Bottom line, she has no there, there, thank God.

You also will get your car replaced.

These days, if she received $5,000, that may not be fair, but its five grand more than she had a few weeks ago.

If that's not enough, talk to one of the many personal injury lawers who advertise on TV all over Texas.

Statistics say that victims who have legal representation obtain 30-40% MORE in payouts, even after the mouthpiece takes her or his cut!!!

By teh way, the insurance adjuster has no concern for you.
You can't make his or her firm spend more money to shoo you away.

If, however, you have a mouthpiece, he or she isn't feared, either.
As a practical matter, a mouthpiece can cause the claim to age on the books, cost the insurance company more in legal fees, and wastes time.
That's why you need a mouthpiece.
A lawyer knows how to play the game, and recognizes he or she takes NOTHING unless you get something.

Basically, pain and suffering is only worth what the Insurance Company will pay. An Attorney can help you get more than you could probably negotiate, but as Army Judge says, anything is more than you had before your accident.

Since your injuries were nothing more than 'soft tissue' injuries, you could probably expect to get reasonable comp for lost wages along with whatever pain and suffering can be negotiated.

Talk to a lawyer - he/she should be able to get her the best outcome possible. (whatever that might be in her case)

Back