Facebook fan group

Robert M

Jurisdiction
United Kingdom
Hello,

My name is Rob and I have a query that I hope you can provide some information on.

I own and run a public group (not page) on Facebook that is based on a popular UK Magazine. In the magazine, there is a joke format where members send in their jokes to get published. The jokes from that magazine format are very popular and that was the reason I created the group and why members join the group. It is a fan group. In the group, member post jokes in than format to the group timeline for others to enjoy. I have named the group with the same name as the magazine joke format.

Let's say the Magazine is called Bonkers! In that magazine there is a format where the public send in their jokes to be published. Let's call that format 'Bonkers Joke Column.' Now let's pretend my group is called Bonkers Joke Column.

Here are some of my questions...

I am wondering is it possible for me as the group owner/admin, to make a compilation of jokes that have been posted to the group. Would I legally be allowed to sell that compilation in the form of an eBook to the group members? All jokes would be credited to the rightful owner.

I have asked a group question via voting poll whether they want to see a compilation made and I have thus far seen positive feedback from my members but I'm wondering is it all legal. As it is a public group, are the member's posts public or do the posts belong to Facebook?

Is it illegal to use the Magazine's name for the group (Bonkers Joke Column) to entice new members?

I have more questions but I don't want to confuse you too much... :)

Thanks for your time,

Rob.

We're not confused. But then, we also know that this site deals with US law only.

Hello,

My name is Rob and I have a query that I hope you can provide some information on.

I own and run a public group (not page) on Facebook that is based on a popular UK Magazine. In the magazine, there is a joke format where members send in their jokes to get published. The jokes from that magazine format are very popular and that was the reason I created the group and why members join the group. It is a fan group. In the group, member post jokes in than format to the group timeline for others to enjoy. I have named the group with the same name as the magazine joke format.

Let's say the Magazine is called Bonkers! In that magazine there is a format where the public send in their jokes to be published. Let's call that format 'Bonkers Joke Column.' Now let's pretend my group is called Bonkers Joke Column.

Here are some of my questions...

I am wondering is it possible for me as the group owner/admin, to make a compilation of jokes that have been posted to the group. Would I legally be allowed to sell that compilation in the form of an eBook to the group members? All jokes would be credited to the rightful owner.

I have asked a group question via voting poll whether they want to see a compilation made and I have thus far seen positive feedback from my members but I'm wondering is it all legal. As it is a public group, are the member's posts public or do the posts belong to Facebook?

Is it illegal to use the Magazine's name for the group (Bonkers Joke Column) to entice new members?

I have more questions but I don't want to confuse you too much... :)

Thanks for your time,

Rob.

Sorry, mate, you need to find some UK based legal eagles, beagles, or bulldogs.
We're just a bunch of dumb Yanks.

Back