Expecting employment: what should I negotiate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aetolius

I apologize in advance for not being able to commit to a single state or geography but this topic potentially deals with every state.

I have been a part-time faculty member for a couple of years now and am (hopefully) entering the job market very soon. The way I understand it, a faculty member who is offered a tenure-track position at a typical 4-year university often negotiates much of the contract including tenure-clock, perks, teaching load, etc.

My question is, speaking generally, what advice can you give me in terms of things to fight for in my contract? I have been trolling these forums and am quite shocked at all the justified reasons companies are using to fire their employees. This is merely an anticipatory post--many of the responses I read from you all go something like this: "yes, the company had the legal right to fire you unless you had written in your contract that ________." Could you please give or point me to a list of things that would be good to include in a contract? Thank you very much.

-Aeto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back