Expected Layoff but Got Discharged; Can I Collect Unemployment Insurance (UI)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter2208

I worked for a private company (ABC) under contract with the federal government (FED). The job required two levels of suitability clearance, one thru ABC and one thru the FED. I came on board in March 2009, was cleared by ABC in mid-April, allowing me to work on the contract while the FED conducted its suitability determination. In July, the FED informed ABC that the contract would be reopened for bidding again. In mid-November, ABC lost the bid and the contract was awarded to another company. Consequently, ABC gradually began to lay off people. I was expecting a lay off date in December. However, in late November I was discharged because the FED denied me suitability clearance. Now, I had been working on the contract for over 7 months by then, and my supervisor would affirm that my job performance was exemplary. I applied for UI and input that I was discharged, not laid off. The system then informed me that a UI official must call and speak with me. What are my chances of obtaining UI?

Given the information you have provided, it doesn't appear that you were discharged for misconduct, so your chances of being eligible for UI would seem to be quite good.

A discharge, as opposed to a layoff, does not automatically void UI. It's one thing to be discharged for punching the supervisor in the nose; it's quite another to be discharged because you do not have the required qualifications (in your case, the clearance). I agree with mcarson (never thought I'd hear myself say that :dgrin) that your chances of being granted UI are good. Good enough that I wouldn't really worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back