exit interview, fired , and forced to lie ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dumpsterdiver

I worked for a large auto dealership. I was successful and had several positive reviews in my personel jacket. I worked for the employer for appox. 2 yrs.

On aprrox. Sept. 8th 2009 my employer disposed of misc computer parts, box's, etc in the trash dumpster. I reviewed the garbage and chose to keep some items for resale on craigslist.

on approx Oct. 7th 2009 I was interviewed by my immediate manager and the stores Office Manager wich I recorded Where it was made plain as day that both managers beleived that they had mistakingly threw out several items by mistake. I told them what items that I recovered and have since sold on craigslist. I indicated that there is several computer items in the landfill in conderation that the items where dispossed of a month ago. I also asked if I was going to be terminated because of this and the managers indicated that I would not be fired for this.

on approx Oct. 8th I was called in and the General Manager, My immediate Manager, and the Office Manager at wich time, while being recorded, indicated they understand that I got the stuff out of the dumpster but slid over two different exit interviews. One indicating that I was Being fired for numerous counts of theft from the workplace and The other on indicating that I was quiting my job for other employment.

I was disgusted and took both "Exit Interviews" and indicated that they were both lies and left immediatly.

What should I do ? I dont have my 70k a yr job now, I'm branded a Thief, and they havent even given me my last check yet ?

Last edited:
If you are asking whether your termination was legal or not, it was.

If you are asking whether or not you will be approved for unemployment benefits, file and find out.\

How have you been forced to lie and to whom?

If you are asking something else, what is the question?

No idea "why". You documented in writing that you disagreed with both versions. Not much else you can do at this point. Unless the company states to a prospective employer that "Diver was fired for stealing" and you suffer damages because of it.

File for UI and see what happens.

You did the right thing by refusing to sign either exit interview. Someone is using you as a scape goat. I would file for Unemployment and write a letter demanding my last check. If they are late on that report it to the labor department. They can fire you for any reason. I think they just wanted to get rid of you for some reason and didn't have the guts to just fire you. If they fired you for the multiple thefts and that wasn't so you might have a wrongful termination action. They assumed if they gave you 2 choices (admitting to theft, or quitting) that you would quit. You did exactly the right thing because now they have to let you go.

If they tell anyone you are a theft send them a cease and desist letter threatening slander. The only thing you can do to get your job back is to convince the GM or Owner that you did nothing wrong.

Think so ?

The office manager Told the Owner and the police that she never thew the computer stuff out--18k worth-and that it was in storage. When I spoke with the owner he said that was there position. I called the police and they investigated and there is no criminal charges against me. As a matter of FACT the police report indicates that the items were indeed thrown away by witness'

but

They still fired me and wanted me to sign those exit interviews DESPITE being able to just fire me for garbage picking !! I think they were trying to set me up so they could make an insurence claim !!

Plenty of case law. AT-WILL-EMPLOYMENT. They can fire you for any reason. They can not spread slanderous lies about you after you leave.

This part could be considered slander. If they told the police a lie you may have a slander case against them. Of course in order to have defamation someone has to believe them and cause you damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back