Exhibition of speed and reckless driving

Status
Not open for further replies.

zaose

Greetings,

I just got a ticket for Exhibition of speed and reckless driving, in California.... here's the story:

Coming home from dinner, Wife in one car, nephew & his girl in one car, me in one car (We all met after work).

So my wife makes it through the light before me and Justin (nephew) get there.

We pull up next to each other, act all goofy, like we want to race, etc. Light turns green, I squeel my tires in the spirit of the joke..... NOTE: We are not racing, we don't accelerate fast... and I was in a mustang (V6) and him in a ford focus, so racing wouldn't make much sense. ANYWAY

We continue on down the road, about 2 miles later two police officers pull us over (I had not overtaken my wife who got through the light yet - we were not going fast).

He tells me I was speeding and racing the focus. He cited me as 80+ in a 45. He was not behind me for a long time, and caught up right at the end - he was hauling arse. He said he had to go 95+ to catch up to us, so we must be speeding.

Basically, yeah, I spun my tires. But we didn't race, and while I don't know what speed I hit, I know it wasn't exccesive in the 50 MPH zone (which he cited as a 45).

Anyway, my court date is June 11th. I Wanted advice if I should plead guilty, not guilty, get a lawyer, etc etc... never had to do anything like this before.

Much thanks!

Will

You could do a few things...

How much is the fine? How many points will go against your license for this?

Getting a lawyer will probably cost you more than it is worth. From my experience in traffic court, most people represent themselves and, upon arguing the ticket, a reduced fine may be offered by the prosecutor.

That is right, first calculate the costs. Being cited for 80 in a 45 zone and racing could mean a very hefty raise in your insurance premiums or even being dumped by the insurance. Then it is worth fighting in court with the help of an experienced lawyer. Otherwise you might take your chances alone. You have one point, that the zone is a 50 zone, which you should be able to prove by showing photos of the signage etc.

This shows that the cop was sloppy when writing the ticket and it might make the judge think that the cop was sloppy in assessing the speed, too. Did he tag you by radar? That would be tougher to fight.

Just be aware that judges in traffic court have heard all excuses in the world and tend to give cops the benefit of the doubt.

Exhibition of speed in California

It sounds like you have been issued two citations. One for reckless driving and one for exhibition of speed. Both are serious violations that could result in suspension of your driver's license depending on your prior record.

If just one of these goes on your MVR you will be faced with much higher insurance premiums. It will be cheaper in the long run to hire an attorney. Try the find an attorney link on this site. Only if one is not listed in your area email me and I can provide some more resources.

Re: Exhibition of speed in California

Originally posted by lwpat
Try the find an attorney link on this site. Only if one is not listed in your area email me and I can provide some more resources.
Hi lw,

Where is the "find an attorney" link? I didn't see it on the home page.

Thanks,
...Rich

Finding an attorney

Hi lw,

I found the link but it doesn't anywhere. Get the message the site is not available right now. I will try later.

On the free consultation link it does ask you if you want to find an attorney but only for car accidents, not speeding tickets.

Please let advise.

Thanks,
...Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back