Exempt Employee

Status
Not open for further replies.

xeno

Currently at my job my supervisor is having an issue with upper management. And some issues came up that I was very curious about.

The Situation:

My supervisor is a Weekend Day Supervisor at a security field and he is considered a exempt employee. So his normal schedule is Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 7 am to 7 pm. The problem that came up is that the Site Manager wanted him to work on the weekdays since they are short staffed. The whole set up at this security site is Day, Swing, Grave, Weekend Day, and Weekend Grave. They all have Supervisors on each of those shift listed. The weekday works 10 hour shift but Mon~Thu and weekend works Fri~Sun for 12 hours. And since my supervisor is an exempt employee he will not be compensated for any of the extra hours and days that he works. So they scheduled him for Monday, Tuesday and Thursday to work along with his normal schedule. Is this legal? His title is Weekend Day Supervisor so shouldn't he be just responsible for the Weekend Day? Please clear this up for me since this seems not fair.

Being exempt means solely that he does not get paid overtime, but instead receives the same pay no matter how many or how few hours he works.. It does not mean that the employer cannot require him to work extra hours or change his schedule. Having the title of Weekend Supervisor does not mean that, in an emergency, he cannot be required to work additional hours.

Nothing you have posted is illegal. Unfair does not equate to illegal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back