Professional Malpractice Executor will not make final payoff or close Estate

TM Roe

Jurisdiction
Iowa
my mother passed away over 3 years ago. There was no will and an Executor was nominated to administer the Estate.

9 months ago in a court hearing, the judge officially approved and filed the Settlement Agreement. Each heir (4 of us) received about 90% of what was granted to us. The Executor, at the urging of her Attorney, held back 10% from the 4 of us for final taxes and extraordinary expenses.

Flash forward 9 months. Executor has not paid the taxes, pay us the 10% withheld nor has filed a motion to officially close the Estate.

Many calls, emails and certified letters to both the Executor and her Attorney have gone unanswered. What can we do to force these individuals to do their job by paying the heirs off and closing the Estate?

I know, you'll say "get an attorney". Can't - due to some staggering medical bills I'm broke.

thank you

You may need to be patient then.
Remember that any work that the attorney does is paid for by the estate, so every call, email, and certified letter is money out of your pocket.

I know, you'll say "get an attorney". Can't - due to some staggering medical bills I'm broke.

If you want what you should be paid, the ONLY way to make that happen is to hire an attorney.

You may not have the funds to hire an attorney on your own, but why NOT talk to the other UNPAID heirs and hire an attorney to represent ALL four of you?

The longer you delay, you're risking whatever assets and monies that were owed to each of you may be unavailable to pay each of you.

Yes, some executors do steal the assets of the deceased, leaving the potential heirs grieving and receiving nothing they should have received.

Back