Ex w/many strikes not arrested after attempted burglary/running from police. How is this possible???

C

Concerned ex

Jurisdiction
California
Hi there!

My ex with a lengthy criminal record was caught attempting burglary and injured himself while running from the police. He was not arrested, only interviewed by a detective. How is this possible?

He was hospitalised on life support, after jumping off the roof of a hotel, but pulled through. No cops came for him, he was free to go. Can there be charges after the fact with no arrest? I am told a detective did visit him in the hospital, but he was too out of it to make a statement.

This is in CA and he has many strikes as well as prison time. This happened less than half a mile from my home, and I believe he has been around my home. I do not have a restraining order, as he has left me alone, and I can't prove he has been on my property, but I am concerned.

Trying to better understand a situation where doing what he did, with the record that he has, would leave him without being arrested, before leaving the hospital.

I know nothing about the criminal system, but am concerned for myself and my children, so please forgive my naivety.

Thank you!

Hi there!

My ex with a lengthy criminal record was caught attempting burglary and injured himself while running from the police. He was not arrested, only interviewed by a detective. How is this possible?

He was hospitalised on life support, after jumping off the roof of a hotel, but pulled through. No cops came for him, he was free to go. Can there be charges after the fact with no arrest? I am told a detective did visit him in the hospital, but he was too out of it to make a statement.

This is in CA and he has many strikes as well as prison time. This happened less than half a mile from my home, and I believe he has been around my home. I do not have a restraining order, as he has left me alone, and I can't prove he has been on my property, but I am concerned.

Trying to better understand a situation where doing what he did, with the record that he has, would leave him without being arrested, before leaving the hospital.

I know nothing about the criminal system, but am concerned for myself and my children, so please forgive my naivety.

Thank you!

He was probably high on meth.

Those tweakers do anything, even leap off rooftops.

Cops will attend to him sooner or later.

No need to even try when a perp is all juiced up n meth and/or pain meds.

Restraining orders aren't made of Kevlar or armor plated.
They're just pretty legal paper.

Install an alarm system, better dead bolts, secure your windows, or build a panic room.

Unless you've got cash hidden about, he's not interested in your home.

He wants to steal stuff to buy more meth.

Anyway, just be alert, read the newspapers, cops will hook him up soon enough, besides its Christmas.

Dude may have ratted out others to stay free.

Anyway, his day will come.

Back