ex husband signing all rights over to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

momwithquestion

I have custody of my 3 year old son. His father and I seperated just 3 months after he was born. He left NY for NM 4 months after that and has been an absent parent since then. We divorced a year after that. He owes me and my son over $14,000 in back child support. His mother contacted me and told me that he wants to sign all his parental rights over to me and have nothing to do with my son. This is fine with me as he has not been there for my son since the beginning and my son and I are very happy in a wonderful family now. I just want to know what this would cost to me as his mother asked me to have papers drawn up. I don't think I should have to pay for it, since it was his idea. I also would like to know who would I talk to (what kind of lawyer). As well as am I going to be out the $14k plus court/lawyer fees if I pursue this, or should I have him research this since it's his idea? Please help.

Here's what you can do

If you can claim low-income, you can go to the DA's office and pay nothing to file a case. you do not need a lawyer to do so. If you can't qualify, you will have to pay around 275.00 to start the paperwork. The paperwork is easy to fill out and you can ask for all fees reimbursed to you. He might owe you 14,000 dollars, but im sure you didn't calculate the interest, which is a whole bunch. I have been going through this and it is really easy to go after him. It would help if you have his information so the process is quicker. The DA will attach his wages, including the arrears that he owes. It is really a piece of cake. You should really consider doing this. even if he wants to sign the child over to you, he is still responsible for child support in some capacity. Good luck and let me know if you need any help.

Re: Here's what you can do

Originally posted by jags2017:
If you can claim low-income, you can go to the DA's office and pay nothing to file a case. you do not need a lawyer to do so. If you can't qualify, you will have to pay around 275.00 to start the paperwork. The paperwork is easy to fill out and you can ask for all fees reimbursed to you. He might owe you 14,000 dollars, but im sure you didn't calculate the interest, which is a whole bunch. I have been going through this and it is really easy to go after him. It would help if you have his information so the process is quicker. The DA will attach his wages, including the arrears that he owes. It is really a piece of cake. You should really consider doing this. even if he wants to sign the child over to you, he is still responsible for child support in some capacity. Good luck and let me know if you need any help.
Yes, the father cannot just simply walk away from the back child support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back