Ex husband remained silent about IRS tax lien during court judgement

Mba1965

Jurisdiction
Ohio
I was talked into taking on some of my ex husbands debts in exchange for being awarded real estate assets. The court's judgement said this was fair and they signed off on it. Little did we know that 1 quarter prior to our final hearing the IRS talked to my ex husband and slapped him with tax liens on all of those properties for failing to pay taxes associated with his business (payroll and SS taxes). He said nothing in court about the tax liens, so now I've taken on debt and will have no assets to help pay it off because the assets have IRS tax liens on them. Can my ex be sued for fraud? What response is the court likely to have knowing that he duped the judge? What actions should I take from here?

Can my ex be sued for fraud?

Anyone can sue anyone for anything.

What response is the court likely to have knowing that he duped the judge?

It's not clear from your post what you think he did that "duped the judge." Was he asked -- either specifically or generally -- about liens on the assets in question? Before making the agreement to "tak[e] on some of [your] ex husbands [sic] debts in exchange for being awarded real estate assets," you made a thorough investigation regarding the status of those assets, right?

What response is the court likely to have knowing that he duped the judge? What actions should I take from here?

If the court decides to take any action against your husband, it won't involve you.

As far as the liens on the properties, you should have instructed your lawyer to do a title search to ascertain if the deed was clear, and if he owned the property. That is called due diligence.

Apparently you failed to conduct your due diligence before taking the deal.

I suggest you discuss the properties with your lawyer and see if you can simply give the property back to your husband.

Another consideration is a chapter seven bankruptcy.
If you take that route, you can legally become unencumbered of the debt.
A BK might be the easiest and cheapest way to proceed, assuming you are eligible.\
Again, ask your lawyer where you can be assured of receiving an answer that applies to you, and not a general answer that applies to all.

Back