ex has kids... refuses to return them

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpbrooks

My boyfriend has primary custody of his children. almost 2 years ago his ex wife made up allegations that he molested another child. There is no evidence of this and all charges have been dropped. Back when the allegations were made, the ex waited till my bf was arrested and then took off with his kids. Nothing has changed since their divorce was finalized, but she refuses to return the children. We dont have any proof that she made up these allegations, but there is no evidence. Anyway.... how do we go about forcing her to return these children to us. Can we just file a motion to enforce the divorce decree? we have tried the police, but they say they will not help us without a court order. What kind of court order do we need? This woman has no business with these children. She took off and left them for another woman, has moved 5 times this school year, made them homeless 2 times this year, and has had several different "new" mommys in there lives. These children need stability. She has gotten them to where they think their father doesnt want them and she tells them that he doesnt want to see them. She then tells my bf that he cant see the kids. She is causing alot of damage to these children that years of counseling may not be able to undo. She also doesnt work. She has wage garnishments in excess of $25,000, so her girlfriend of the week must work to support her and the children.
I live in Illinois and do not have the money to hire a lawyer. Legal Aid is not an option cause they will not handle cases that have to do with custody issues. I dont understand why we cant just go pick them up. He has custody of them, not her. Please help. I am at my wits end.

Again, there is no "we" here. Your boyfriend has to make all the moves legally in this matter. In the eyes of the law, you are a legal stranger in this entire event.

Gail

If there is no court order then how does your boyfriend have custody?

I realize that I am legally not involved, but we live together and make decisions together and "we" need help.

He was granted custody in the original divorce decree. She waited until he had been arrested and then took a bunch of belongings from his home and the girls while he was in jail. He was only in for a few days before our church posted bail, but in the meantime, she has taken the children and does not have custody of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back