Ex-girlfriend wants to sue for rent

Status
Not open for further replies.

onvexivs

I lived with my ex for roughly 10 months. My name is not on the lease nor any of the other bills involving the home. 3 of those months I was unemployed after being fired under false pretenses and was no longer able to pay half of the rent and other bills. There was no contract(written or verbal) that I was to pay her for the months I was unemployed. When I finally did find work we verbally agreed that once I had caught up on my personal bills(cellphone/car) I would begin paying rent again. After perhaps 3 weeks with my new job I came home from work to find a small portion of my belongings on the driveway while she kept several of my high-value items locked in the house, unwilling to surrender them. I've accepted this as a loss but now she is wanting to take me to small claims for back rent. She has nothing from me or signed by me claiming that I would pay any form of back rent. Does she have a case?

If you are willing to call it a loss- countersue for the illegal eviction and for withholding your property. She just might drop the case, and you can too.
You actually have a better case than her. She will have to provide evidence of what your payment agreement was... prior payments are a great way to do that, and there were none apparently.

Ask for your property back and inform her that you will countersue for the value of the lost property plus any losses you have as a result of being illegally forced from the home. She might be convinced to give you your itmes back, or to pay for them, and then leave you alone.

You two kids need to stop playing house and take time to grow up.

You don't get to live anywhere without paying rent accept your Parent's house. So unemployed or not, your desire to live inside means you OWE her rent. She had no right to either lock you out or keep your possessions. She has a case against you for the rent, you have an offset agaist her for the posessions she kept, or you can sue her for the possessions themselves and pay the rent. She could also be liable to you for locking you out (contract or not).

Lesson one: If you are not living under a bridge you will owe rent even if you are unemployed.

Two: You don't get to just throw people out when they don't pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back