Ex GF Climbs On Top Of Former Boyfriend’s Vehicle. Former BF Drives Away Slowly - CPS Now Involved

So we're not supposed to talk to the police. Okay.
We're not supposed to talk to CPS. Fine.
But now we're not supposed to talk to attorneys either? And if we do talk to them, we should let strangers on an internet board overrule them?

If the OP refuses to be interviewed he is in effect telling the attorney he does not need him. Im not sure the attorney can drop someone who has already let the attorney go.
This OP is likely getting juiced by the attorney, paying the attorney to host an interview that doesn't need to happen.
OP has nothing to gain by being interviewed.
Saying "I'm not going to do what you tell me" is a far cry from saying "you're fired".

As for the interview, the attorney has stated that they should offer to hold the interview in the attorney's office with the attorney present so that the attorney can protect the client's interests while also providing information that may be beneficial to CPS in both clearing the OP and building a case against the other party.

I'm still gonna go with the OP should listen to his attorney!

So we're not supposed to talk to the police. Okay.
We're not supposed to talk to CPS. Fine.
But now we're not supposed to talk to attorneys either? And if we do talk to them, we should let strangers on an internet board overrule them?

Nobody said not to talk to an attorney, and nobody overruled anyone else. I simply said there is nothing wrong with declining to be interviewed.

This OP is likely getting juiced by the attorney, paying the attorney to host an interview that doesn't need to happen.

You don't know that. There might be a good reason for the attorney recommending the particular course of action he has given the OP.

OP has nothing to gain by being interviewed.

You don't know that either. Sometimes it is actually beneficial to talk to cops or other authorities. As a cop yourself surely you've seen such situations. When you are not sure then the best route to take is to say nothing, of course. Saying nothing is always what I would recommend people do when asked questions by cops or other authorities when they may be a suspect or at any legal risk and they have not yet had the chance to consult an attorney. But there are times when participating in an interview — accompanied by your own lawyer — can benefit you.

And still, there is nothing wrong with declining to be interviewed.

Nothing wrong with it. However, your previous statement was that the OP "has nothing to gain by being interviewed." You also opined, without any real evidence to support it, that the OP was getting "juiced" by his lawyer and implied the lawyer is putting his fee over the well being of the client. It is those statements with which I take issue. It might well be that participating in the interview would be a benefit to him. His lawyer is in the best position to determine that, not anyone here.

I have never advised a client to be interviewed.

There is absolutely no reason to provide a statement to the police, law enforcement, or any other investigative arm of the state.

I know attorneys who believe otherwise, and I don't criticize attorneys who believe there is an upside for their client to submit to such an interview.

If the person does become a criminal defendant, there are many down sides to participating in such an interview.

I am also not a proponent of depositions on the civil side, either.

That, however, is often beyond the control of any particular attorney.

I simply believe in protecting all constitutional rights of my clients.

As far as I was taught (by none other than famed trial attorney Gerry Spence and others), there is rarely an upside for a client to participate in interviews with those individuals charged with bringing miscreants before the bar of justice.

The Legacy of Gerry Spence | The Spence Law Firm, LLC

I can unequivocally state that I have never seen an upside for any client of mine to participate in an interview by child services/protection agents/representatives.

Back