Ex boyfriend got arrested and now we have a order of pretection; his property and what I can do.

Jessie26

Jurisdiction
Minnesota
So I had a boyfriend that decided to put his hands on me. He would not leave my house so I had to call the cops and where they took pictures of my face and he got arrested. The fight stemmed from him stealing money from me, owing me money, and stealing from me. Adding up to be around 1200$. He was living with me for about a month, he was not on the lease. He does not have a key to my house. He had clothes and some stuff in my house like an Xbox and other stuff. He wants his stuff back but from him owing me money and so on I do not want to give him anything honestly, he does not deserve it. He broke a lot of stuff in my house too while being angry two 55 inch tv's and a few other things. Real winner right. He had no job didn't pay rent and I fed him and was trying to get him back on his feet.. DONT bite the hand that feeds you. What are his rights and what can he do?

What are his rights and what can he do?

He has no rights to be in or around your home or you.

You must also obey the order and stay away from him.

As far as his stuff, didn't he take his junk with him?

If he did, and he can't prove otherwise, there is none of his junk in your home.

Its not your job to keep track of his junk.

Its not your job to help an adult male back on his feet.

You work, so he can work.

Whatever he does, where ever he does it and with whom is not your concern.

Don't allow ANYONE to stay in your home.

Your home is your safe space.

Look at how the brutal bum repaid you, he thumped you.

Don't take in strays.

So what if you have no man?

The bum you had beat you.

You're better off alone than settling for a savage beast that might kill you.

So I had a boyfriend that decided to put his hands on me. He would not leave my house so I had to call the cops and where they took pictures of my face and he got arrested. The fight stemmed from him stealing money from me, owing me money, and stealing from me. Adding up to be around 1200$. He was living with me for about a month, he was not on the lease. He does not have a key to my house. He had clothes and some stuff in my house like an Xbox and other stuff. He wants his stuff back but from him owing me money and so on I do not want to give him anything honestly, he does not deserve it. He broke a lot of stuff in my house too while being angry two 55 inch tv's and a few other things. Real winner right. He had no job didn't pay rent and I fed him and was trying to get him back on his feet.. DONT bite the hand that feeds you. What are his rights and what can he do?
My advice, from someone who's been there, done that and bought a tee-shirt...

Do not sell off his stuff to "self-help".

Send a CRRR letter to him stating he has 30 days to come and get his things with a police officer (civil stand-by). If he does not do so, you will consider his things abandoned and dispose of them accordingly.

File a suit in Small Claims court for the theft/damage/injuries he has done. Make sure you have receipts, photos/video, police reports, copy of your RO along with your application for the RO.

You may want to see if you can get on one of the Judge shows (Judge Judy, Peoples court, Hot Bench) as you will be assured of actually getting the judgement right away. ;)

DO NOT GET BACK TOGETHER WITH HIM>

Best of luck to you....
Blue

The way I see it - give the stuff back... Why would you want to continue giving him an avenue to approach you by keeping it?

What are his rights and what can he do?

It would serve no useful purpose to create a list of rights.

You have no legal right to keep his property, and he can sue you to recover it. If you have claims against him, you can sue or countersue him.

I hear ya - been there. But it's not worth it. Just put his stuff outside the front door. Or tell him you'll leave it with a mutual friend. Don't play petty with this it's ultimately not worth it. The stuff he owns isn't worth near what he owes you.

He doesn't deserve anything. True. But be the bigger person. If you want to try to get money back on what he broke or stole, take him to civil court but in the end, cut your losses. You have a PO. Take advantage of it. Block him. Move along. Trust me it's not worth the headache.

Back