Eviction of long term roommate

N

nanaofowen

Jurisdiction
California
Long story:
My mother-in-law died in March 2003. She owned her home and lived there with one of her minor grandchildren. Shortly before she died she let his father move into the house with them. In her will she left the home to my husband, his brother (who died before the probate closed), the grandson she lived with, and her other minor grandson.
A few days after her death my husband sat down with the father of the child she lived with and told him that if he wanted to be able to continue to live in the house he would have to:
1. Pay the $179.00 per month mortgage payment on time every month. He stopped paying it after about 8 months so it had to be paid out if the estate after he let it get delinquent.
2. Keep the home, inside and outside, in the same condition it was in when my mother-in-law was alive. He immediately started to damage the interior, let the yards get overgrown, ect. The house is disgusting due to his laziness.
3. Pay all utilities on time. The power and water were shut off 3 times just in one year, and a total of 6-7 in all the years he has lived there. The only bill getting paid now is his power bill and its only getting paid because his son, now 24 years old, is paying it for him.
This guy is a complete bum, won't get a job cause he won't stop using drugs long enough to get clean so he can pass a drug test. He sponges off everyone, especially his own son.
Due to complications in his mothers probate, which took over seven years to close, and then his brothers probate, which took another five, and just closed last month, my husband has not tried to get the father out of the house. My husband now owns 1/2 of the home, and the two grandsons each own 1/4. They also want the father out of the house.
Since my husband and the father had only a verbal agreement and the father was allowed to live in the home all these years even though he broke the terms of the verbal agreement almost immediately, what does my husband need to do to get him out of the house?
Thank you for your help, and I apologize for the length of my post.

Long story:
My mother-in-law died in March 2003. She owned her home and lived there with one of her minor grandchildren. Shortly before she died she let his father move into the house with them. In her will she left the home to my husband, his brother (who died before the probate closed), the grandson she lived with, and her other minor grandson.
A few days after her death my husband sat down with the father of the child she lived with and told him that if he wanted to be able to continue to live in the house he would have to:
1. Pay the $179.00 per month mortgage payment on time every month. He stopped paying it after about 8 months so it had to be paid out if the estate after he let it get delinquent.
2. Keep the home, inside and outside, in the same condition it was in when my mother-in-law was alive. He immediately started to damage the interior, let the yards get overgrown, ect. The house is disgusting due to his laziness.
3. Pay all utilities on time. The power and water were shut off 3 times just in one year, and a total of 6-7 in all the years he has lived there. The only bill getting paid now is his power bill and its only getting paid because his son, now 24 years old, is paying it for him.
This guy is a complete bum, won't get a job cause he won't stop using drugs long enough to get clean so he can pass a drug test. He sponges off everyone, especially his own son.
Due to complications in his mothers probate, which took over seven years to close, and then his brothers probate, which took another five, and just closed last month, my husband has not tried to get the father out of the house. My husband now owns 1/2 of the home, and the two grandsons each own 1/4. They also want the father out of the house.
Since my husband and the father had only a verbal agreement and the father was allowed to live in the home all these years even though he broke the terms of the verbal agreement almost immediately, what does my husband need to do to get him out of the house?
Thank you for your help, and I apologize for the length of my post.

Eviction is a very simple process.

Your state publishes two guides on evicting deadbeats and bums.

Read both of them, and you'll know exactly how to get the deadbeat bum out of YOUR house, LEGALLY.

Eviction - eviction_housing_selfhelp

California Tenants - California Department of Consumer Affairs

Back