Eviction notice

L

lifesux234

Jurisdiction
Kentucky
Okay so I did not pay my rent for the past 2 months (I'm a dumb college student) and I got a call from my apartment complex saying they were handing out eviction notices that day, it was a Monday. I was very confused as she did not give me very much detail and said she went ahead and filed for eviction and added costs to my account. I then got my notice and there were 3 options on it, either to pay the balance, surrender possession of the apartment or go to eviction court.. I surrendered my keys and everything to them but still got a court date in the mail and am expected to pay the remainder of my lease. I have no job and no way to pay and I'm not sure if I still need to go to court since I did surrender. Please help!

Yes, you still need to go to court and defend yourself against the amount that the landlord claims that you owe.

Otherwise you'll end up with a default judgment against you for thousands of dollars.

I suggest you contact legal aid or a tenants rights organization in your city and see about getting some help on how to handle this.

Meantime, here's some basic information:

Kentucky Eviction

The mere filing of an eviction has severe consequences that can impact your life negatively for decades.

Most people eventually understand how an evictin impacts your FICO score.

What Happens To Your Credit When You Get Evicted? | Credit.com

It's important to know that just receiving an eviction notice isn't what puts it on your credit report. An unlawful detainer must be filed in court. The property manager has to obtain an eviction judgment from local small claims or civil court.

Once the judge has ruled in favor of the property manager and the judgment is final, the three major credit bureaus will receive notices of the eviction and add it to the your credit report in the form of a public record.

How will an eviction affect my credit? Evictions that go to court and are filed as judgments against you are treated as public records on a credit report. A public record stays on your credit for up to seven years from the date it's filed, and it won't be removed early in many cases.

It can have several affects on your credit and your life in general:
It'll ding your credit score. This is the most obvious affect. You can simulate how several different types of public records can affect your credit score with the many Credit Simulators available online!

It'll hurt your chances at a job. Though not all do, an employer can check potential job candidates' credit reports. A public record on your credit report can be a red flag for some employers. But there are ways you can prepare yourself if you're on the job hunt and you're worried about a black mark on your report.

Here's the worst thing an evcition filmg means. It'll make it very hard for you to rent again. It might be decades before you can rent DECENT housing. It's not impossible, but finding a new apartment with an eviction under your belt can be tough.

If you ever plan to buy a home, that's going to require work, too.

Here are a few tips to help:

Start improving your credit health immediately.

Use a rental brokerage service. Explain your situation to them and see if they can help you find an apartment without a background or credit check.

Be willing to compromise. Offer to pay a higher security deposit and definitely be ready to explain any helpful circumstances of your eviction.

Bottom Line: No one should have to tell you to avoid an eviction at all costs, as that much is too obvious and unhelpful if you already have one on your credit report.

The hope is that you need to better understand how this sticky situation can devestate your life going forward.

You can turn things around for the better.

It won't be easy, and it can take decades.

Good luck!

Yes, you still need to go to court and defend yourself against the amount that the landlord claims that you owe.

Otherwise you'll end up with a default judgment against you for thousands of dollars.

I suggest you contact legal aid or a tenants rights organization in your city and see about getting some help on how to handle this.

Meantime, here's some basic information:

Kentucky Eviction
I just spoke with my landlord and she said that I do not have to go now. She said she will be sending me my move out statement soon. Does this mean it was resolved?

I just spoke with my landlord and she said that I do not have to go now. She said she will be sending me my move out statement soon. Does this mean it was resolved?

It could mean that its over.
It could also be a ploy for her to receive a DEFAULT judgment against you.
I suggest you contact the court, might be able to do so online, and find out if YOUR case is still docketed as you previously knew it to be.

It could mean that its over.
It could also be a ploy for her to receive a DEFAULT judgment against you.
I suggest you contact the court, might be able to do so online, and find out if YOUR case is still docketed as you previously knew it to be.
Okay, awesome. Her exact words were, "Court is on Monday, you can go if you would like but you are not required to at this point."

Okay, awesome. Her exact words were, "Court is on Monday, you can go if you would like but you are not required to at this point."

Yeah, that's the sucker bet, mate.
If court is on Monday and you're not there, she receives a default judgment.
You lose, and will be stuck owing her lotsaloot.
You can try to get the money to pay her, which will cure the claim.
Or, you can ask for a continuance, with a good reason - maybe you need tome to hire an attorney, sickness, death, school finals, etc...

A public record stays on your credit for up to seven years from the date it's filed,

Actually, a civil judgment will remain on the credit report for 7 years or for the amount of time that the judgment is enforceable, whichever is longer per section 605(a)(2) of the Fair Credit Reporting Act:

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/sites/default/files/articles/pdf/pdf-0111-fair-credit-reporting-act.pdf

Kentucky judgments are enforceable for 15 years so if there is a monetary award to the landlord, the judgment stays on the credit report for 15 years.

Actually, a civil judgment will remain on the credit report for 7 years or for the amount of time that the judgment is enforceable, whichever is longer per section 605(a)(2) of the Fair Credit Reporting Act:

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/sites/default/files/articles/pdf/pdf-0111-fair-credit-reporting-act.pdf

Kentucky judgments are enforceable for 15 years so if there is a monetary award to the landlord, the judgment stays on the credit report for 15 years.
She told me when I went and talked to her that an eviction would show it was FILED on my credit, but not the actual judgement itself. It would go on the Public records part of the credit if they ran background checks, but will not ding my score or anything. She also said I was no longer required to go to court as I turned over possession to her already. I am going in today to get clarity as it is all confusing.

Back