Eviction for Sub-letting to my live in boyfriend whom i had added to the lease?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

My landlord brought me a letter of eviction stating that it appears I have placed my boyfriend responsible for paying the lease rent which is in violation of my leases,

My landlord brought me a letter of eviction stating that it appears I have placed my boyfriend responsible for paying the lease rent which is in violation of my leases,

Yes, you violate your lease, you can be evicted. Read the papers you were served, show up in court and fight it.

Or, talk to your landlord and see if he will settle without going to court.

If you get evicted, it will make it impossible for you to rent for 10-20 years.

Try to fix this, make your landlord happy.

Read your lease, know what you signed.

army judge is correct but let me add a couple of additional items that might also help.

I don't know what "placed my boyfriend responsible" means. Does it mean that he wrote the check for your rent? If so, I'm not sure that may place you subject to eviction proceedings. If your boyfriend can share the residence together with you than this also appears to not be in issue. If you wrote the landlord and said that you're substituting your boyfriend for yourself on the lease, you cannot do this. The landlord must consent to a substitution of your boyfriend.

In general, landlord tenant courts are supposed to side on the side of tenants. The law does not look kindly on landlords who evict tenants when there really isn't a dispute or where the matter is or should be reasonably settled. What troubles me is why the landlord would go through the trouble of evicting you since that would involve a cost, usually paying an attorney to file eviction proceedings. So what is the reason for your eviction? As army judge stated, you'll need to read the summons and complaint and determine what part of the lease your landlord claims you violated. If it can be remedied, you should speak to the landlord. If you believe that you have a valid defense, you should raise this with the landlord and - as army judge suggested - try to make an agreement. Note that if you're probably wrong, the landlord may want to be compensated for attorneys' fees. If this is the case, you might want to keep in mind that you may want to settle (possible it can be less than the stated amount) but that it might be in your best interests to do so. If the landlord wins an eviction proceeding you may not only have the problems army judge mentions but you also might be subject to pay all the attorneys' fees that were required to evict you. good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back