Evicting a Family Member who is a guest

lil2sweet5

Jurisdiction
Georgia
One of my children has been in my home with the intent to move out when they can afford their own. There has been problem after problem, and she has a history of violence that now makes it uncomfortable for her to be in my home. We have no rental agreement, and she pays no rent or bills. How can I legally go about asking them to leave since she has been receiving mail in my home?

One of my children has been in my home with the intent to move out when they can afford their own. There has been problem after problem, and she has a history of violence that now makes it uncomfortable for her to be in my home. We have no rental agreement, and she pays no rent or bills. How can I legally go about asking them to leave since she has been receiving mail in my home?

Mail, no mail, relative, stranger, friend, tenant, the answer is generally the same, you have to evict the person.

It'll be Bryan County Court:

Magistrate Court | Bryan County

Or Richmond hill Muni Court:

Richmond Hill, GA - Official Website - Richmond Hill Municipal Court

Instructions are on the websites.

If violence is committed, especially domestic violence, that makes getting the person out easier.

If that happens, call the police and they will advise you accordingly.

How can I legally go about asking them to leave since she has been receiving mail in my home?

"Them"? Is their someone other than your daughter? In any event, I don't think "how can I legally ask" is really the question you meant to ask us. There are no legalities to "how you ask" someone, and it doesn't matter that you don't have a formal lease. There is abundant information on the internet about how to evict a tenant, but I suggest hiring a local landlord-tenant attorney.

Another option that sometimes works is to help her out.
Help to find a new home, help to actually pack and move, and throw some money at her... Say $500 or so to help with initial expenses.

Another option is to stop supporting her so she is motivated to leave. Stop putting groceries in the house. Remove the television/stereo/internet access and other electronic conveniences from common areas. Stop providing dishes, linen, toilet paper, light bulbs, etc.

Don't turn off the utilities, but find other ways to make living there very boring and inconvenient.

Meanwhile, pursue the eviction. With any luck you will have her out before you ever have to go to court.

Another option that sometimes works is to help her out.
Help to find a new home, help to actually pack and move, and throw some money at her... Say $500 or so to help with initial expenses.

Another option is to stop supporting her so she is motivated to leave. Stop putting groceries in the house. Remove the television/stereo/internet access and other electronic conveniences from common areas. Stop providing dishes, linen, toilet paper, light bulbs, etc.

Don't turn off the utilities, but find other ways to make living there very boring and inconvenient.

Meanwhile, pursue the eviction. With any luck you will have her out before you ever have to go to court.

My husband and I have already decided to do this. Thus far we have made everything convenient however, we are no longer willing to do so as she is disrespectful and has very destructive behavior. I even suggested telling her she has to do her laundry at the laundromat since it uses my water. I know it seems petty but we are in an ugly situation.

On top of that, or most importantly, I am still recovering from a surgery to remove a cancerous tumor from my pancreas as I had stage IV pancreatic cancer. This whole situation is causing me stress which is in no way good for my health.

"Them"? Is their someone other than your daughter? In any event, I don't think "how can I legally ask" is really the question you meant to ask us. There are no legalities to "how you ask" someone, and it doesn't matter that you don't have a formal lease. There is abundant information on the internet about how to evict a tenant, but I suggest hiring a local landlord-tenant attorney.

Of course I meant legally evicting them. Just worded it wrong.

Just an update

I have sent her a Notice to Quit for 60 days. I am hoping that she leaves before that time, however I have resigned myself to not providing any luxuries while she is still here. I refuse to make her life easier while she makes mine a living hell.

Thanks for all of the good advice everyone!

Back