equal compensation questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoe60

I am an administrator in a school district. I hold the title of director, and manage a program which includes 600+ children who are in attendance4 1/2 hours daily.
I have responsibilities similiar to a prinicipal and report to someone at the director level.
I have 19 years of service in this position.
Last summer at a meeting of administrators a new policy regarding raises was introduced. It appears my salary is equivalent to someone who is a first year non degree supervisor. A principal with my experience makes 2x's my salary.
Now we have male and female principals. When I asked for consideration of a shorter calender year (similar to a prinicipal) I was told no. An increase has been turned down.
How do you determine if this is an issue covered under the equal pay for equal work consideration?
Are school districts held to the same standard as others?

Thank you
Zoe

The Equal Pay Act does not require that people be paid fairly, or commensurate with their experience/skill, or the same as one another. The EPA simply requires that no one be paid less because of their membership in a protected class, i.e. they can't pay you less BECAUSE you're a woman or BECAUSE you're black, etc. However you can be paid less in spite of those things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back