Consumer Fraud Enterprise Rental Car Scam

Zpj1993

Jurisdiction
Colorado
I was rear ended a few months back and was sent to enterprise by the insurance company to rent a car. Everything was moving along pretty routinely, as I have rented from enterprise before, until the inspection of the car before I signed the agreement. The employee inspected the car with me, and I noted there were some dings and dents. He simply said they were not worried about them because they were not big enough or were considered wear and tear. I naively agreed to sign the contract without those dings being marked down. When I returned the car a week later, a different employee went out to inspect the car and asked me to stay inside. I did, and as I watched him, I noticed he inspected every single inch of the car, making plenty of marks on his sheet of paper he had. He then inspected the roof intently, like he knew something was supposed to be there. He spent a considerable amount of time inspecting the roof. When he came back inside, he said he would have to open a claim because there was hail damage on the roof. Only one thing, it didn't hail when I was in possession of the car! I know for a fact, 100%, it did not hail when I was in possession of the car. He then insisted I pay my $500 deductible. I refused and he sent the claim to their damage recovery unit. He also refused to give me my $50 deposit back saying it would be used towards fixing the car. I was given the number of their damage recovery unit, where I called several times and was given the run around. Finally, I was able to get the number of the person who would be handling my claim, she didn't answer. I left a message. She has yet to return my calls, even about 3 months later. I have received bills from enterprise for over $700 and threats that they would send it to a collection agency. I was also put on a "No Rent List."

Nothing you can do now, pilgrim.
They will continue to have their way with you, for being so naive as NOT to mark down each and every dent on their junk car.

You can report the matter to your insurance company, and your insurance company MIGHT be able to help lessen the pain.

Otherwise, get ready to be sued, and prove your case.

I never rent from Enterprise because of the examinations they conduct.
I find it a waste of my time, when other large rental companies don't operate the Enterprise way.

Some of those companies I choose to do business with are even OWNED by Enterprise.

If you ever need a rental car again, pay for it and allow the insurance company to reimburse you.

I was rear ended a few months back and was sent to enterprise by the insurance company to rent a car. Everything was moving along pretty routinely, as I have rented from enterprise before, until the inspection of the car before I signed the agreement. The employee inspected the car with me, and I noted there were some dings and dents. He simply said they were not worried about them because they were not big enough or were considered wear and tear. I naively agreed to sign the contract without those dings being marked down. When I returned the car a week later, a different employee went out to inspect the car and asked me to stay inside. I did, and as I watched him, I noticed he inspected every single inch of the car, making plenty of marks on his sheet of paper he had. He then inspected the roof intently, like he knew something was supposed to be there. He spent a considerable amount of time inspecting the roof. When he came back inside, he said he would have to open a claim because there was hail damage on the roof. Only one thing, it didn't hail when I was in possession of the car! I know for a fact, 100%, it did not hail when I was in possession of the car. He then insisted I pay my $500 deductible. I refused and he sent the claim to their damage recovery unit. He also refused to give me my $50 deposit back saying it would be used towards fixing the car. I was given the number of their damage recovery unit, where I called several times and was given the run around. Finally, I was able to get the number of the person who would be handling my claim, she didn't answer. I left a message. She has yet to return my calls, even about 3 months later. I have received bills from enterprise for over $700 and threats that they would send it to a collection agency. I was also put on a "No Rent List."

A very similar situation happened to me here in town at my local Enterprise. Exact same issue of them claiming that the small dings and scratches do not need to be noted. Also the employee went out and inspected the vehicle alone. When I realized what they were doing, I went out as well and pointed out areas I felt needed to be marked. That's when I was told those were not of concern. When I brought the vehicle back they claimed there was damage. There was a dent that was very vusible and already on the vehicle when I got it. After bringing the vehicle back they tried to say I had to cover it. I drove the vehicle to VERY few places, AND had already noticed the damage. They ended up contacting a couple of the states/places the vehicle had been in the past. Luckily the Dent was documented on one of the other reports and I didn't have to pay. The hale damage was probably already there from some other state the vehicle you rented had been in, as they may travel through many states in the US. Have them heck past records. You may catch a good break!

I have rented from Enterprise (and others) quite often and never had a problem.

Do you want to know why?

I'll tell you why.

I carry my digital camera with me and take photos of every inch of the car.

It seems like everybody has a phone that takes pictures, an iPad or tablet that takes pictures, or digital cameras but very few people have the common sense to use that equipment when it will do them the most good.

Back