Employment

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiker71

I was "laid off" from job as a mental health counselor for not having the correct license to bill insurance. However, my coworker has the exact same license and we do the exact same job. I have had some health issues. Is this discrimination?

I was "laid off" from job as a mental health counselor for not having the correct license to bill insurance. However, my coworker has the exact same license and we do the exact same job. I have had some health issues. Is this discrimination?

Even if it were discrimination, which doesn't matter anyway, one has nothing to do with the other.
Employees are not required to be treated EQUALLY.
Jim can earn $50/hour for doing the same job that pays May $10/hour.
Discrimination only concerns itself with a small class, and only in some instances.
Judy (a black, female, 80 year old, transgender) can be fired on a any day of the week ending in a "Y".
Bill (a white, formerly male, 24 year old, sexual reassignment survivor) can be fired because she was one minute late to work on her first day.
Quang Lee (a tri-racial, 54 year old, female) stole $500 from petty cash. The boss, Quang Lee's aunt, Mabelline (and owner of the factory) simply admonished QL, and gave her a $200 a week raise, promoting her to assistant payroll manager because she was "struggling" to pay her mortgage.
Life ain't fair, and it isn't illegal to be preferential.

I suggest you try to move on, seeking a better job, and apply for UI (if you wish) and see what the state decides.

You mean, was it illegal discrimination, don't you?

Maybe, maybe not. More detail would be necessary.

All employees do not have to be treated the same - you just can't be discriminated against due to a reason prohibited by law (ie religion, race, gender.......). We really need more information to give you a more complete/better answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back