1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Employment Equity in Canada

Discussion in 'Employment, Labor, Work Issues' started by bonafix, Dec 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bonafix

bonafix Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    Ontario
    Dear Law Professionals:

I need to determine if it is legally permissible or possible in Canada for a federally regulated employer (private or public) to hire an individual of lesser qualifications and/or merit than other candidates, provided that this individual belongs to a protected class as defined in the Charter and Rights and Freedoms (i.e. visible minorities, women, etc.). Applicable legislation may include the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, the Human Rights Act, and the Employment Equity Act, among others. I am also curious if this may be a common legal practice at monolithic entities (e.g. Federal Government) or at private monopolies and large corporations who are not as significantly affected by free market forces. Please provide interpretation as well as references to the applicable legislative sections.

Thank you

2. KatDini

KatDini Well-Known Member

I don't do homework (especially since I've graduated). There's no-one here who deals in Canadian law, either. o_O