Employment Contract : Collect, use, and disclose personal information?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

member 129359

Jurisdiction
Alberta
Hello,

I am reviewing an employment contract, and I was quite surprised to see the following clause.

You agree that <company_ name> shall be entitled to collect, use and disclose your personal information in the course of its business and for the purposes of establishing, managing and terminating the employment relationship in accordance with applicable privacy legislation.

I just don't understand why a company would collect and disclose personal information. I view that as possibly intrusive, and makes we wonder what power it would give and how much information could be extracted. Financial, medical, subpoenas etc.
Is this a reasonable clause?

Related note : I believe privacy is important, and I just don't see why a company would want access to my information. My personal life should be separate from my professional life. I'm not an evil person that needs to hide, but still. It feels like the company can obtain whatever personal information they want.

Last edited by a moderator:
This site is based on US law, not Canada. However, your question is generic and the answer is simple enough.

That the employer wants that information is all the employee needs to know. I'm assuming that there is no law in Canada that prohibits it.

If the employee objects, the employee is free to seek employment elsewhere.

Or, you can talk to an attorney in Canada.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back