Employment Application Discrimination

Status
Not open for further replies.

carol43054

Please tell me if this is lawful. I was ask to come in for an interview with a company that I had submitted a resume too for an advertised position. When I arrived for the interview, I was ask to fill out an application. I did so. The lady that was going to conduct the interview looked over my application when I had finished. She said she could not interview me until the application was complete. I really did not know what was missing because I completed the application as I always had. She said she could not tell me what was wrong but "as a hint, (her words) she pointed to my past wages on my job history. I explained I had listed my hourly wages for the past two jobs (that went back 5 years) but I really could not remember what I was making on the jobs before that or how I could get the information. She said she could not do the interview until I furnished the information. I told her that I didn't have any way of finding out from 1986 what my wages were but I could estimate. She said this would be considered fraud and she could not accept that. I told her I had no way of getting her exact numbers. I left and after thinking over the situation I don't believe she was legally in the right for refusing to interview me after calling me in for one based on information I had provided on my resume. What can i do??? Please someone help. This was not right.

It may not have been right but she did not violate any laws. I completely understand your point of view and I agree that she was unreasonable, but she had no legal obligation to interview you in the first place and if she wanted to demand that each and every line on the application be complete she was within her rights.

In order to have any kind of legal discrimination case you would need to show evidence not only that others were not required to complete the entire application but ALSO that who was and was not so required, was determined by their membership in a protected group (race, religion, national origin and so forth).

Just because she called you in for an interview does not make it illegal for her to change her mind.

I think that interviewer needs to get a life but she didn't do anything unlawful.

If confronted with a situation like that again (which probably is very unlikely) you can fill in "approximately $x.xx" on the application form. You're making it clear it's your best guess and that you are not representing that as an exact figure. That way, it couldn't be construed as lying on the application form.

Honestly, I don't know what that woman's problem is. I don't recall my exact salary from last year, much less what I was earning in 1986. I wouldn't have a clue and most interviewers understand that 'cause they don't either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back