Employment and child support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diwansky

I am currently court ordered to pay $135.74/week for child support payable through the Florida state disbursement Unit. Back in May of 2007 the small business I was working for as a manager went out of business, I was only given about one week notice. I immediately went to work for a small local sub shop where my income was substantially reduced, yet just enough so I could continue to afford the child support, I did not seek modification at that time because I was confident I could find another job, that would put me back in the old income level, however no luck. I continued to fall behind on all bills, except child support. As a result I quit that job and moved to a new city, to live with my brother and his girlfriend, and have found at least one new job, with others hopefully to follow. I will not be receiving a paycheck for almost 3 weeks and currently owe just over $200. Is there any way I can get relief, or retroactively modify the child support from the last 3 months, so I can avoid penalties? Thank you in advance for any help and advice anyone can give me.

I think you should call your local department and ask about modification in your particular situation. It really depends. I just went through a modification court appearance and they take what you earn and what you should be capable of earning very seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back