Employer is refusing to pay me

Josh B

Jurisdiction
Florida
I was suppose to be paid on the regular scheduled pay day via direct deposit. That morning when I checked my bank account I did not receive my paycheck. At that point I reached out to my employer and the company's payroll administrator via email stating that I have not been paid. The payroll administrator never replied. My employer about 6 hours later that day replied via email asking if I provided the manager with my information at which point I advised that this information was sent over a month ago because I received my last paycheck via direct deposit. I then sent screen shots of the email correspondence to my employer via email that this info was sent weeks ago and I've already received a direct deposit. He then never replied to my email. The next day he texts me and says that he still needs my information to pay me so I resent screenshots to him that this information was sent weeks ago. My employer then says hours later that he will be at the employment site and I can come in and pick up my paycheck in cash. I advised him I am nowhere near there and will need it direct deposited. At this point my paycheck is about 2 days late. He stated that if I am not there tonight to pick it up that they pay every two weeks so I'll be paid in another two weeks. I stated to him that it has already been over two weeks and he says that he will mail a check. I want to add that this is the second instance. The first pay was almost 2 weeks late. And this check is late as well.

Unfortunately, Florida has no state agency that enforces wage and hour laws. You can contact the federal offices of the Dept of Labor in your local area.

As a practical matter, if you want to get paid any time soon, you'll have to do it the boss' way.

If you don't like what's going on, seek employment elsewhere.

Back